The first military company of New Milford,
Connecticut for service in the Revolution, was formed May 1, 1775,
under the command of Lieut. Ebenezer Couch.
(See Two Centuries of New Milford, Conn., pg. 34) Lieut.
Couch had held the rank of Ensign of the Second Militia
company and in 1759 had been commissioned Lieutenant in the same
company. There is no official record that this company served
during the year 1775, but in June, 1776, Lieut. Couch was
commissioned Captain to serve under Colonel Andrew
In Connecticut Men in the Revolution, page 387, is the following: "Early in 1776, two regiments were raised in Connecticut by voluntary enlistment under Colonels Waterbury and Ward for a few weeks service to assist in throwing up defensive works in New York and Brooklyn Heights. Rolls not on file."
In Orcutt's History of New Milford, pp. 218-19, it is stated that the books of Capt. Couch's company kept by Benjamin Bostwick, Jr., as clerk of the company, are still preserved, and that the company under Colonel Andrew Ward was in the service two months and twenty-three days - from Feb. 1, 1776. Those whose names on the roster are indicated by stars (*) gave no additional service.
Captain Ebenezer Couch - New Milford, Connecticut Militia: