ILLINOIS GENEALOGY EXPRESS


A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
PEORIA COUNTY, ILLINOIS
History & Genealogy


 

CITIES, TOWNSHIPS AND OTHER MUNICIPALITIES
 

AKRON TOWNSHIP is located in Peoria County, Illinois. The village of Princeville is partially located in Akron Township along its western border.

BARTONVILLE is a Village in Peoria County, Illinois
BELLEVUE is a village in Peoria County, Illinois, United States. Bellevue is a suburb of Peoria and is part of the Peoria, Illinois Metropolitan Statistical Area.
BRIMFIELD TOWNSHIP is located in Peoria County, Illinois. The village of Brimfield is located in Brimfield Township.
  -- BRIMFIELD (formerly Charleston) is a village in Peoria County, Illinois, United States.
CHILLICOTHE is a City on the Illinois River in Peoria County, Illinois. Chillicothe is just north of the city of Peoria and is part of the Peoria Metropolitan Statistical Area.
  -- CHILLICOTHE TOWNSHIP is located in Peoria County, Illinois.
DUNLAP, located on Illinois 91, is a small village in Peoria County Illinois, United States.  Dunlap is part of the Peoria metropolitan area and growth in the city of Peoria is extending towards the village. There are only a handful of businesses in the village's 16 blocks.
EDWARDS is an unincorporated community in Peoria County, Illinois, United States. Edwards is located on Illinois Route 8 northwest of downtown Peoria. Edwards has a post office with ZIP Code 61528; the Post Office is now located on Dubois Road just south of Interstate 74 exit 82, 2.1 miles (3.4 km) north of the original Edwards.
     Edwards is in section 19 of Kickapoo Township, and was previously called Edwards Station, as a train station on the Peoria and Galesburg division of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, originally the Peoria, Oquawka and Burlington Railroad in 1857 when the railroad was completed and the station opened. The first settler, Isaac Jones, died in 1840.
ELMWOOD TOWNSHIP is located in Peoria County, Illinois.
  -- ELMWOOD is a city in Peoria County, Illinois, United States. Elmwood is part of the Peoria, Illinois Metropolitan Statistical Area. Growth in the city of Peoria is extending towards Elmwood, in addition to the village of Dunlap.
KINGSTON MILES is a Village in Peoria County, Illinois, United States. It is part of the Peoria, Illinois Metropolitan Statistical Area.
GLASFORD is a village in Peoria County, Illinois, United States. Glasford is part of the Peoria, Illinois Metropolitan Statistical Area.
HALLOCK TOWNSHIP is located in Peoria County, Illinois, United States
HANNA CITY is a Village in Peoria County, Illinois, United States. Hanna City is part of the Peoria, Illinois Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Hanna City was founded in 1882 and named after William Hanna (born 1827), who was president of the Peoria-Farmington Railroad, which ran through Hanna City. While originally a farming community, coal was soon discovered under the town. The coal mine was a major factor in the early years of the town and kept it thriving for more than half a century. The main coal mine shaft was near the intersection of Second St and the railroad. Remnants of the coal mine can still be found, e.g., air shaft near old Grade School. Hanna City is also the home of the locally famous restaurant Gils.
HOLLIS TOWNSHIP is located in Peoria County, Illinois. The village of Mapleton is the only incorporated town in the township.
JUBILEE TOWNSHIP is located in Peoria County, Illinois.
KICKAPOO TOWNSHIP is located in Peoria County, Illinois. Kickapoo Township changed its name from Orange Township on an unknown date, but the best guess is 1850.
KINGSTON MINES is a Village in Peoria County, Illinois, United States. It is part of the Peoria, Illinois Metropolitan Statistical Area.
LIMESTONE TOWNSHIP is located in Peoria County, Illinois.
LOGAN TOWNSHIP is located in Peoria County, Illinois.
MEDINA TOWNSHIP is located North of Peoria County, Illinois, and in the Illinois River Valley (West of the river itself).  Medina Township changed its name from Franklin Township on an unknown date, but most likely in 1850.
MAPLETON is a Village in Peoria County, Illinois, United States. Mapleton is part of the Peoria, Illinois Metropolitan Statistical Area. There are three different plants in Mapleton, all located along U.S. Route 24: an Evonik chemical plant, a Lonza Group plant, and a Caterpillar Inc. foundry.
MILLBROOK TOWNSHIP is located in Peoria County, Illinois.
NORWOOD is a Village in Peoria County, Illinois, United States. Norwood, just outside of Peoria, is part of the Peoria, Illinois Metropolitan Statistical Area.
PEORIA is a city in and the county seat of Peoria County, Illinois, United States, and the largest city on the Illinois River. Established in 1691 by the French explorer Henri de Tonti, Peoria is the oldest European settlement in Illinois, and is named after the Peoria tribe. Peoria is the headquarters for Caterpillar Inc., one of the 30 companies composing the Dow Jones Industrial Average.
Peoria is one of the oldest settlements in Illinois, as explorers first ventured up the Illinois River from the Mississippi. The lands that eventually would become Peoria were first settled in 1680, when French explorers René-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle and Henri de Tonti constructed Fort Crevecoeur. This fort would later burn to the ground, and in 1813 Fort Clark, Illinois was built. When the County of Peoria was organized in 1825, Fort Clark was officially named Peoria.
     Peoria was named after the Peoria tribe, a member of the Illinois Confederation. The original meaning of the word is uncertain; a recent proposal suggests a derivation from a Proto-Algonquian word meaning "to dream with the help of a manitou".
Peoria was incorporated as a village on March 11, 1835. The city did not have a mayor, though they had a village president, Rudolphus Rouse, who served from 1835 to 1836. The first Chief of Police, John B Lishk, was appointed in 1837. The city was incorporated on April 21, 1845. This was the end of a village president and the start of the mayoral system, with the first mayor being William Hale.
Peoria, Arizona, a suburb of Phoenix, was named after Peoria, Illinois because the two men that founded it in 1890 − Joseph B. Greenhut and Deloss S. Brown − wished to name it after their hometown
PEORIA HEIGHTS is a Village lying almost entirely in Peoria County in the U.S. state of Illinois. Peoria Heights is a suburb of Peoria and is surrounded by the city except for its eastern boundary on Peoria Lake, a relatively wider section of the Illinois River. It is part of the Peoria, Illinois Metropolitan Statistical Area.
PRINCEVILLE TOWNSHIP is located in Peoria County, Illinois.  The townshp shares a border with Stark County to the North.  It also borders Millbrook Township to the West, Akron Township to the East and the Jubilee Township to the South.
  -- PRINCEVILLE is a Village in Peoria County, Illinois, United States. It is part of the Peoria, Illinois Metropolitan Statistical Area.
RADNOR TOWNSHIP is located in Peoria County, Illinois.  Radnor Township first changed its name from Benton Township to Fremont Township, then to Radnor.  The exact dates are unknown, but thought to be 1850.
RICHWOODS TOWNSHIP is located in Peoria County, Illinois.
     Part of Richwoods Township was given to City of Peoria Township when it was organized as a township in 1907. Until 1991, the City of Peoria Township grew as the city of Peoria did, and today, most of what was originally Richwoods Township lies within the 1991 city limits of Peoria, and therefore in the Township of the City of Peoria; however, small parts of Richwoods Township's northern sections remained when the boundaries of the Township of the City of Peoria were fixed in place by law in the 1990s, and these, along with the entire village of Peoria Heights, remain as Richwoods Township.
ROSEFIELD TOWNSHIP, is located in Peoria County, Illinois.
TIMBER TOWNSHIP, is located in Peoria County, Illinois.
TRIVOLI TOWNSHIP, is located in Peoria County, Illinois.
WEST PEORIA TOWNSHIP is located in Peoria County, Illinois. West Peoria was the portion of Peoria Township that was left when the City of Peoria Township was formed in 1907. It has two parts: the northern, most of which also became the city of West Peoria, Illinois in 1993; and the southern, a triangle between Bartonville, Peoria, and the Illinois River, and including part of Bartonville.

NOTES:

*

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
PEORIA COUNTY, ILLINOIS INDEX PAGE
  CLICK HERE to RETURN to
ILLINOIS GENEALOGY EXPRESS
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is MY MISSION
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights