Source:  History of Boone Co., Indiana - Publ 1887



     Boone County occupies a central position in the great State of Indiana.  It is bounded on the north by Clinton County, on the east side Hamilton, on the west by Montgomery and on the south by Marion and Hendricks Counties.  It is twenty-four miles from east to west and seventeen and a half miles from north to south.  It contains about 268,000 acres, two-thirds of which is in cultivation.  Its central position, excellent soil, water power, and other advantages, natural and improved, ranks it among the first counties of the state.  It is now nearly sixty-five years since Boone County was settled by the white man.  It is true a remnant of the Miami Indians occupied the northwest corner of the county by stipulation from the government till 1828.  Here they have lived, hunted and traded for sixty years previous, but about the year 1834 their fires went out and their songs were heard no more.  They left traces, however, that to-day are visible, i. e., the graves of their fathers and children.  This reserve or territory embraced all of Sugarcreek Township, two-thirds of Washington, nearly one-half of Jefferson and five sections of Center Township, in all about fifty-two thousand acres.  Let us go back sixty-five years and take a glance at the surroundings.  What do we find?  An unbroken wilderness, no roads, no mills, deep-tangled brush and vines, and a good portion of the land covered with water.  To this gloomy-looking place a few hardy pioneers came in 1823 or 1824.  They came principally from Kentucky, Pennsylvania and North Carolina.  Among the first settlers were the following:

Angle, Jacob
Baird, John
Ball, Adrian
Bell, Robt.
Bennett, William and Henry I.
Bishop, Elias
Bishop, Jos.
Bishop, Wm.
Blake, Thos.
Brenton, Samuel
Brown, Thomas
Buck, Solomon
Burkett, Noah
Burnham, Joshua
Burns, John M.
Busby, John
Cain, Clayburn
Caldwell, Daniel A.
Campbell, Michael D.
Cassady, Newton
Chitwood, Jas.
Chitwood, Noah
Clark, Robert
Coombs, W. H.
Cox, Benj.
Cragen, Hiram
Cravens, Oliver
Crisman, John
Crose, W. H.
Dale, Jas. S.
Davenport, Austin
Davenport, Jesse
Davis, Jas.
Davis, Jas.
Denny, Leiden
Dewees, S. P.
Dickerson, Fleming
Dinsmore, Jacob
Downing, Jas.
Dunn, Benjamin
Edwards, Jas.
Essex, Jesse
Farlow, Geo.
Farlow, Wm.
Fear, J. B.
Fortner, Alexander
Garrett, Resin
Gibson, G. W.
Gibson, Isaac
Good, John
Graham, John
Hamil, Robt.
Harris, Lewis
Harris, Matthew
Harvey, Andrew
Higgins, John
Hill, John C.
Hill, Wm.
Hocker, Jos.
Hoover, David
Hull, Richard
Hurt, J. T.
Hutton, Washington
Imbler, John
Irwin, Jas.
Jackson, Ed.
Jackson, Elisha
Jackson, Jesse
Johns, Jacob
Johnson, Geo. H.
Keeth, Jos. and Geo
Kenworthy, Silas
Kenworthy, Wm.
Kernodle, Jacob
Kincaid, Francis
Kincaid, Wm.
Kise family
Knotts, Abner
Lane, Levi
Lane, W. E.
Larimore, H. G.
Lewis, Daniel
Longly, A. H.
Lucas, George and Henry
Lucas, Phillip
Lumpkins, G. W.
Marsh, Wm. and James
McCoy, Jas.
McLAughlin, Jas.
McLean, John
McQuidy, Hiram
Miller, Isaah
Miller, John
Moore, Jas.
Morrison, Robert
Neal, Stephen
Nicely, Wm.
Osborn, Geo.
Pauly, John
Payriel, Wm.
Peney, Samuel
Peters family
Peters, John
Phillips, Washington W.
Phipps, Aaron
Pierce, J. G.
Porter, John
Powell, Wm.
Ray, David
Riley, Elish
Roberts, Hiram J.
Rose, Jonathan H.
Ross, Wm. and Jas.
Rudasills, J. A.
Sargent, John
Scott, Archibald
Scott, Geo. W.
Scott,  Nathaniel
Sheets, Jacob and John
Shelburn, John
Shirts, George
Simpson, Dr.
Smith, B. B.
Smith, Eli
Smith, Wesley
Smith, Wm.
Staton, Wm.
Stephenson, George and John
Stephenson, Robt.
Stoneking, Jacob
Strong, S. S.
Stype, Jas. G.
Sullivan, Patrick H.
Sweeny, Benj.
Thomas, Robt.
Thompson, Jas. A.
Thornbury, Jas.
Tipton, Jacob
Titus, Stephen
Trotter, Anderson
Turner, Jesse
Turner, Wm.
Van Eaton, Jas.
Walters, Geo.
Walters, Wm.
Warren, Solomon
Washburn, Jerry
West, Wm.
Wolfe, John
Woolen, Edward
Wright, John
Young, Claybourne
Young, John V.
Young, Wm.
Zion, Wm.

     The following are the names of the twelve men who composed the first grand jury in the county:

Dewees, Lewis
Foster, Joshua
Horrell, John
Houston, E. P.
Howard, Francis
Long, John
Lowe, Frederick
McCoy, David
Phillips, A. H.
Westfall, Cornelius
Williams, James

     The county at one time was considered low and level, and in one sense of the word it was true.  Yet while it is low and level it is no less the dividing summit of White River and Wabash.  The water flows almost in every direction in Boone County, and it is said the highest point between the lakes and the Ohio River is between Lebanon and Whitestown near Holmes Station.  Be this as it may, the county is far from being a low, wet country.  Since the water has been confined to deeper channels and numerous ditches, the land as a rule is dry and can be cultivate.  Before going farther we perhaps out to say something that almost every person already knows, viz: that our county was named in honor of Daniel Boone, the noted Kentucky hunter.  It was organized in 1830, when there were only 622 citizens in the county.  Lebanon was chosen as the name of the county seat.  The principal streams in the county are Sugar Creek, Eel River, Big and Little Eagles Creeks, Prairie Creek, Brown's Wonder, Mud Creek, Raccoon, Fishback, Mounts Run, and Spring branch.  Nearly if not all at one time afforded propelling power for mills, machinery, etc.  Since the introduction of steam they are no longer used for that purpose.  The Michigan road, which was laid out in 1830, passes through the entire county, entering it at the southeast corner at section one, three-fourths of a mile south of Eagle Village, running slightly to the west of north through the towns of Eagle Village, Clarkstown, Northfield and Slabtown, leaving the county in Marion Township at section eighteen, near the northwest corner of the township.  The Indianapolis, Cincinnati & Lafayette Railroad enters the county at the southeast corner south of Zionsville, passing in a northwest direction through the towns of Zionsville, Whitestown, Holmes Station, Lebanon, Hazlerigg Station, and Thorntown, leaving the county northwest of the last named place some two miles.  Number of miles in the county, twenty-eight.  The Indiana, Bloomington & Western Railroad passes through the southwest corner of the county.  It enters Jackson Township at section eleven a short distance southeast of Jamestown.  Running a little north of west a distance of three and a half miles it leaves the county at section thirty-one where it enters Montgomery County.  The Anderson, Lebanon & St. Louis Railroad, now the Midland, passes through the county from east to west.  It enters the county in Union Township at section thirty-six, passing through the towns of Rosston, Labonon and Advance, leaving the county at section thirty, in Jackson Township. The road is now only finished as far as Lebanon.  The last Spike was driven eleven miles east of Lebanon, Jan. 22, 1887.  From Lebanon west the road runs in a southwestern direction.  The distance through the county is nineteen miles.  The Indianapolis and Lafayette State road passes through the county in a northwest direction, entering the county on the south line near Royalton at section seven, passing through Royalton, Lebanon and Thorntown and leaving the county northwest of Thorntown some three miles.  The Noblesville and Strawtown road passes through the county from east to west, entering it in Marion Township at section thirty-six, passing through the towns of Elizaville and Thorntown, a distance of twenty-four miles.  The principal road running through the center of the county and running east and west enters the county in Union Township on the east at section sixteen, passing through the towns of Lebanon, and Dover, leaving the county at section thirty-one, three miles west of the latter place, where it enters Montgomery County.
     Having given a short geographical description of the county, nothing the principle streams, roads, etc., we will now introduce some statistics showing the marvelous growth from a population of 622 persons in 1830.  The population in 1840 was 8,121.  In 1850 the population was 11,631.  In 1860, 16,733.  In 1870 the population was 22,593.  In 1880 it was 31,778.  The taxable property in 1886 was thirteen million dollars.  The real value can not be less than twenty-five million dollars.  The number of voters in 1886 was 6,760.  The number of school children in 1885 was 9,788.  Value of school property in 1885 was $158,180.50.  Number of school teachers, 165.  Number of school houses, 135.  Number of bushels of wheat raised in 1880 was 838,344.  Number of bushels of corn, 1,303,228.  Number of bushes of oats, 87,350.  Number of mules in 1880 was 499.  Number of horses, 6,317.  Value of fruit for the year 1880: apples, 238,872 bushels; peaches, 2,371 bushels.  Number of pounds of wool for the year 1879 was 48,446; number of pounds of honey, 14, 087; number of pounds of butter, 335,142.  Number of acres in clover for the year 1880, 7292; number of acres of blue grass in 1880, 27,971; number of tons of hay in 1870 was 11,905; number of bushels of barley in 180, 3,792; number of bushels of Irish potatoes in 1880, 76,027; number of pounds of tobacco in 1880, 2,263.  Number of churches in 1883 was 62; number of church organizations, 65; number of members, 4,104.  Value of church property in 1883 was $43,850.  Number of school children in 1870 was 8,205; number in 1880, 9,358; number in 1885, 9,788.  Number of voters in 1880, 6,362.  The population of the county at this writing (1887) is estimated at 33,800.  Number of pensioners, 236.  The foregoing statistics are given in a general ay to show the growth of the county for the past sixty years.  They must appear satisfactory to the thinking mind.  The growth of the towns have been in the same ratio with that of the county.  Especially do we point with pride to our county seat.  From a little muddy village we have arrived to a city of no mean proportions.  Under the head of "Sketches of Towns" we will dwell more at length.  As we intend this as only a general survey of the county we have also given in townships sketches some facts and statistics of considerable length, which will account for this seeming short article.