Welcome to



Source: Nwe Albany Daily Ledger (New Albany, IN) Vol: XI  Issue: 3237  Page: 2
Dated: Feb. 27, 1860
From the Bedford Independent we learn that our old friend Isaac Rector, for many years a cashier of the branch at Bedford, of the State Bank of Indiana, has established an office in the old bank buildings in that place for the purpose of receiving money on deposit, trading in gold and silver and buying bills of exchange, &c.  From a personal acquaintance of many years standing with Mr. Rector, we can safely recommend him to all persons having business in that line, as a reliable man, and one who will promptly conduct business as it should be.                                              Bloomington Republican
Source:  Plain Dealer (Cleveland, OH) Page: 2
Dated: Apr. 2, 1866
The Bedford, Indiana, Tragedy.
[Special to the Commercial]
     In the case of Dr. Benjamin F. Newland, indicted for the murder of Prof. Madison Evans, at Bedford, Indiana, recently, a change of venue was taken to Floyd Circuit Court, and the trial set for the 8th of May next.  The change was granted by Judge Byckell, on affidavit of the defense that the excitement was so great as to render it impossible for the defendent to have a fair trial in the Lawrence Circuit Courts.
     There is a good deal of political feeling of witnesses had been summoned, and a heavy array of legal talent on each side.
     A good deal of political feeling, eh?  How is that?  Prof. Evans had, after an artful and persistent effort - running through two or three years - succeeded in seducing the daughter of Dr. Newland - a mere child.  The doctor learned the ruin which the scoundrel had brought upon his family, and he shot him dead for his infamous crime.  It was right that the villain should die thus at the hands of an outraged father.  But, although Evans was a notoriously bad man - and had been caught in adultery at Greencastle a short time before his death - yet he was loyal, ye gods - a Lincoln Elector, and a pulpit slang-wrangler withal, and therefore, there is "a good deal of political excitement" - so much that a change of venue has been granted in the premises.  Newland is under forty thousand dollar bonds.  He is a Democrat, of course. - Logan Gazette.
Source: Cincinnati Daily Gaette (Cincinnati, OH)  Page: 2
Dated: Aug. 24, 1867
A Woman Murders Her Sister-in-Law - Fatal Affray at Bedford.
From the Salem (Indiana) Times, 22d.
     The most shocking affair that ever transpired within the bounds of Washington county was committed in Gibson township, between the hour of five and six o'clock on the morning of Tuesday last.  The particulars, so far as we have been able to gather them, are about as follows:  Jane Williams, an unmarried woman, and aged perhaps forty years, resides with a married brother in the vicinity of Little York, a village in Washington county.  Her brother, William Williams, having some business with one of his neighbors, left his wife and sister, the only occupants of his own house, and walked to that of his neighbor, and while absent his sister attacked Mrs. W. with a knife, while she was preparing breakfast, inflicting several savage cuts about the throat and neck, cutting her throat from ear to ear, severing the windpipe entirely, and, in fact, almost severing the head from the body.
     Mr. Williams, who had not yet been absent half an hour, returned, when his sister met him at the gate and informed him of the terrible deed she had committed, saying that she had killed his wife, and was going out after the neighbors.  Her tale, of course, seemed incredible to Mr. W., but when he entered the house he found his wife, whom he had left but a few moments before in perfect health, a ghastly, bleeding corpse upon the floor.
     The immediate cause or causes which led to the bloody deed we are not prepared to relate, but it is said that the parties have never lived agreeably together.
     Mrs. Williams, we are informed, often left home in the absence of her husband, fearing violence.  A vein of insanity is said to have run through the family of the murderess, but it does not seem to us that this act could have been committed in a fit of insanity, when she has had the life of her victim in view for so long a time.  As we before have stated, she acknowledged the deed from the first, and said that as God was at the head of all things, so must he be at the head of this.  The murderess was brought to Salem and lodged in jail, at about 5 o'clock on the day of the murder, and not until the massive prison door had creaked on its  iron hinges did she manifest the least concern about the awful crime she had committed.
From the New Albany (Ind.) Commercial, 22d.
We are called upon again this morning to chronicle one of those terrible tragedies which have lately become so frequent.  As will be seen from a special dispatch in another column, William Vestal, of Bedford, was shot and mortally wounded by Henry Ewald, a noted desperado and saloon keeper of that place.  The occurrence took place soon after dark last night, and up to ten o'clock Vestal was still alive, although the physicians said there was no hope of his recovery.
     Mr. Vestal was a brother of the Louisville, New Albany & Chicago Railroad, at that point, and was considered a very peaceable citizen.
     Vestal had been drinking, but from the accounts we have received, it appears that Ewald had no provocation for the deed.  Two shots were fired, the latter taking effect in the neck.  Ewald was arrested at once and placed in jail.
     The greatest excitement prevailed among the citizens, and at a late hour last night they were holding a meeting at the Court House for the purpose of administering summary justice upon the murderer.  It is to be hoped that better counsels will prevail, and that the law will be allowed to take its course.
Source:  Cincinnati Daily Gazette (Cincinnati, OH)  Page: 1
Dated: Nov. 25, 1871
Fire in Bedford, Indiana
Special Dispatch to the Cincinnati Gazette
                                                           BEDFORD, IND., Nov. 24.
     Our new graded school building burned down this morning at 2 o'clock.  Loss $27,000.  The cause of the fire is unknown.  No insurance.
     The building was erected last summer, and was a very substantial structure.
     School had been going on only about two months.
Source:  Cincinnati Daily Enquirer (Cincinnati, OH)  Vol: XXXI  Issue: 297  Page: 2
Dated: Oct. 24, 1873
Full Details of the Terrible Tragedy at Bedford
From Louisville Courier-Journal, Yesterday.]
     The horrible butchery of nearly an entire family at Bedford, Lawrence County, Ind., on Sunday night, has created the most intense excitement all through Southern Indiana, and especially that portion on the line of the New Albany and Chicago Railroad.  Our New Albany Reporter has gained further and more detailed particulars of the terrible deed of blood.  The oldest girl of the murdered man states that all of the children were in bed, and that her father came in and commenced cutting all of the children.  It appears that Morrow then came from the front room, where he had gone to bed, the screams of the children arousing him.  Morrow and the wife of Christopher both grappled with the desperate and infuriated man; Mrs. Christopher holding to the arm and leg of her husband, who is one-legged.  Christopher, in the meantime, made a savage onslaught upon Morrow with the knife, when the latter, after a desperate struggle, got the knife from the hand of Christopher, and commenced stabbing him.  He also, by the statement of the daughter, drew a revolver and was going to shoot Christopher, when Mrs. Christopher exclaimed, "Don't shoot, you might kill one of hate children."  Morrow then threw the pistol down and again commenced inflicting his terrible stabs upon the already dying man.   While Mrs. Christopher was holding her husband, or when she first came into the room, she received the bloody and dangerous cuts from her insane husband.  Her wounds, however, it is stated, will not prove fatal.  Mrs. Christopher makes the following statement of the bloody affair.
     On Saturday night Mr. Christopher complained of Mr. John H. Morrow being too familiar with her, and had a revolver which he had bought in Bedford, and that he intended to kill Mr. M. with it.  She got the pistol from him and gave it to Mr. Morrow.  Mr. Morrow and she went over to William French's, and stated that their lives had been threatened by C., and that they wished to stay all night.  French's wife refused them the privilege.  They then went back to the house, and Christopher and Morrow made up and they stayed all night.  On Sunday evening Morrow came over to Christopher's, and after sitting a while went to bed.  About nine o'clock Christopher got up and commenced stabbing the children.  She undertook to prevent him, and called to Morrow for assistance.  Morrow grappled with Christopher, and was cut by him in four or five places.  Morrow fell over Christopher and wrenched the knife cut of his hand, and raised partly up and stabbed Christopher.
At the Coroner's jury Morrow was sworn, and gave the following statement:
     He said that, on account of the quarrels with his family about Mrs. Christopher and himself, he frequently stayed at Christopher's house and ate meals there.  That he and Mrs. Christopher went over to Melvin French's house on Saturday night, and asked the privilege of staying all night, in consequence of C.'s having threatened their lives, but Mrs. F. refused to let them stay.  They then went back and went to bed, and that all passed off quietly that night.  There had been no quarrel on Sunday night - Christopher going to bed in the back room.  Between nine and ten o'clock he was awakened by the screams of the children and Mrs. Christopher.  He started to go nto the bed-room and met Christopher at the bedroom door, with the bed-clothes wrapped around him.  He states that he does not recollect what took place afterward, till he himself and Christopher lying on the floor, he with his heels on Christopher's breast, and Christopher striking at him with a knife.  He wrenched the knife out of his hand and commenced cutting Christopher.  He testifies that he tried his best to kill Christopher, to prevent his doing further injury to himself and the family.
     Drs. Benjamin Newland and John D. Simpson held a post mortem examination upon the body of Christopher, and found twenty-seven wounds.  Among others was a wound severing the jugular vein.  The verdict of the jury was that the deceased came to his death from wounds inflicted by John H. Morrow.
The wounds inflicted upon the oldest daughter, a girl about ten years of age, are the most sever, one of them being a deep cut in the breast, penetrating to the lung, which has caused bleeding internally.  At noon yesterday it was not thought that she could survive her injuries.  The wounds on the other two children are not considered serious, much less fatal.  The baby was but slightly cut.  Morrow does not seem to have any regrets for the part he played in the dreadful tragedy, holding that all he did was done in self-defense, and that had it not been for him Christopher would have murdered the entire family.  Public opinion holds that Morrow did wrong in going repeatedly to Christopher's house when he knew that Christopher was madly jealous of him.  The trial of Morrow will commence in a few days.
Indianapolis Sentinel (Indianapolis, IN) Vol: XXIII  Issue: 219  Page 1
Dated:  Feb. 5, 1875
(By Telegraph to the Sentinel)
     BEDFORD, IND., Feb. 4. - George Bachtel and Arthur Bissot, the murderers of George G. Carney, were arrested at Olney, Ill., on the 2d inst.  In making the arrests the marshal of Olney and a Cincinnati drummer came very near losing their lives.  Bachtel, who is a desperate character, shot four times at the marshal and twice at the drummer before he would surrender.  Bissot surrendered without showing fight.  They were securely bound and brought to Mitchell last night by the deputy sheriff with a posse of men brought here.  They were received at the depot by about four hundred men, boys, women, etc., all anxious to see the bloody demons, but I am glad to say that there was no disposition whatever manifested toward lynching.  They were taken before Esquire Rector and, waiving a preliminary examination, where then conducted to jail to await the action of the grand jury, which does not convene until May next.  I have been told by those who had them in charge that they do not deny the killing of Carney.  The verdict before the coroner's jury was that they confessed to four different persons the killing.  Bachtel is one of the worst men that has ever lived in this county.  He is a noted robber and desperado, but this is the first time he has ever been accused of the terrible crime of murder.  Bissot is a mere boy and an industrious, hardworking lad, but for some time he has been a boon companion of Bachtel's, and has doubtless been with him in some of the former robberies.  There is a full determination on the part of the citizens to have dealt to these young men the full plenty of the law executed by a court of justice, but from all that I can learn from conferring with the citizens, there is no danger whatever of a mob's lynching them.  I am satisfied that the citizens here would turn out en masse to protect them from a mob.  These people ask for justice through the law and will have it in a legal and no other way.  Mr. Carney our murdered night watch, was a gentleman and an honest and faithful servant of the people.  He was shot down while in the line of duty, but his friends and all the citizens ask only that the just penalty of the law may be executed against his murderers.  The excitement is now all over and Bedford is a quiet a town as there is in Indiana.  Bachtel is cross and refuses to talk, but Bissot is as usual, smiling and very cheerful, to all appearance.
Source: Jackson Citizen Patriot (Jackson, MI)  Vol: XXX  Issue: 44  Page: 3
Dated: May 15, 1893
Forty-Three Masked Men Compel the Sheriff to Deliver the Keys to the Jail. - Then Turley, Who Murdered a Conductor, Was Taken From His Cell and Lynched in the Jail Yard.
     BEDFORD, Ind., Mary 15 - At 2:10 this morning a mob of 100 men appeared before the jail here, forced the sheriff to give up the keys, and took John Turley, who murdered Conductor J. F. Price at Seymour, from his cell and hanged him in the jail yard.  Turley begged for his life, but his appeals were met with silence.
     The lynching was conduced in a most orderly manner, Turley's cries being the only sound heard.  After lynching their man, the mob requested that the body should not be taken down until daylight, after which they dispersed.  The mob hanged Turley to a tree in the jail yard, within twelve feet of the railroad track, so all passing trains this morning can see his body.  There were forty-three men at the jail masked, and about fifty or sixty standing guard at different points over the city.
     Turley's crime was the murder of Conductor J. F. Price, of the Mississippi & Ohio road.  The assassination was as cowardly as it was brutal.  It seems that Turley tendered an old pass when asked for his fare, which the conductor refused.  After an altercation Turley's father, a wealthy stock dealer of Lawrence county, paid his fair for him.  Price then left and was standing in the door, with his back toward Turley, who was closely following him, when the latter fired twice, each bullet piercing the kidneys and passing forward and through the stomach of his victim.  Price lingered a few hours, regaining consciousness only within a few moments before his death.
Source:  Freeman (Indianapolis, IN) Vol: 5  Issue: 20  Page: 4
Dated: May 20, 1893
ABOUT once a year, Indiana serves notice on the outside world, that Judge Lynch is not entirely out of business on the Hoosier diggins.  The hanging of John Turley, at Bedford, early Sunday morning, the man who shot Conductor Price, was a cold-blooded piece of business, engaged in by all accounts, by the "best" people in that section.  Mob law is to be condemned whether in South Carolina or Indiana, and it is to be hoped the guilty parties in the above case, will be apprehended and punished accordingly.
Source:  Indiana State Journal (Indianapolis, IN) Vol: LXXX  Issue: 21  Page: 2
Dated:  May 26, 1897
Judge's Instructions at Bedford Cleared Brown and Sexton.
     BEDFORD, Ind., May 21. - After nearly twelve hours' deliberation the jury in the Brown-Sexton murder trial returned a verdict of not guilty to-day.  The prisoners were congratulated by the crowd on their narrow escape.  But for action of one juror, who understood the law held a man guilty until proved innocent, a verdict would have been given in two hours.  They left for Louisville to-night.  They invaded Indiana.
Source:  Indiana State Journal (Indianapolis, IN) Vol: LXXIV  Issue: 11  Page: 5
Dated: Mar. 15, 1899
Robbing Officials Fined Only $10
     BEDFORD, Ind., March 13. - The investigation of Lawrence county officials started by Judge Martin last November has passed through all formalities, from the indictments to the rendering of judgments on pleas of guilty by the Various defendants.  The matter quietly went through its various stages because newspapers kept still about the rottenness exposed.  The Bedford Democrat was very severe last campaign, but it cooled down later on because it depends largely on Republican patronage.  Indictments against county and ex-county commissioners, ex-county auditor, ex-mayor of Bedford and two justices of the peace of Shawswick township were sustained.  The matter is now virtually at an end, brought about by the officials disgorging and taking nominal fines of $10. the lowest penalty.
Source:  Springfield Republican (Springfield, MA)  Issue: 257  Page: 5
Dated: Jan. 26, 1904
Indiana Detectives Believe They Have Established a Motive for the Crime
     Detectives at work on the mystery of the murder of Miss Sarah Schaefer, teacher of Latin in the Bedford (Ind.) schools, believe they have established a motive for the crime.  They are satisfied that the tall man in the long overcoat who was seen lurking in the vicinity of Johnson's house is the murderer and that the man is the one who was annoying Miss Schaefer.  The police believe that this man was enamored of Miss Schaefer and that she had repulsed him.  Brooding over his passion for the young woman and determined to have an interview with her, the police think the man had made up his mind to kill her if she again resented his advances and watched for her as she left the Johnson boarding house.
     Joseph Heitger yesterday at Bloomington, Ind., whose name has been mentioned a connection with that of Sarah Schaefer, called on a representative of the Indianapolis News and stated that the talk that he was in any way connected with Miss Schaefer was absolutely false.  "You may say," said Heitger, "that I met Miss Schaefer only once.  I never was at her house to call on her.  I talked to her only in the presence of Miss Knox.  I never wrote a word to her in my life, nor received a word from her and have hardly spoken to her since thanksgiving night, when I met her at the basket ball game."
     Chief-of-Police Chief M. C. Russell and Sheriff Smith of Bedford, Ind., in company with former Chief Jacob Hanger of the Louisville police force had a conference at Louisville, Ky., yesterday with a woman who two days ago notified the Bedford police that she probably could throw some light on the Sara Schaefer murder.  The interview took place at the Louisville police station Chief Russell said the woman with whom he was in conference three hours had given him much information about Miss Schaefer and her friends and acquaintances.
     Mrs. Frank Gross of Chicago, a sister of Miss Schaefer, is now in Elkhart to attend Miss Schaefer's funeral.  Mrs. Gross said a letter written by Miss Schafer complaining of annoyance by a man while calling on her, gave the name of Heitger, saying that after he had spent a pleasant evening, he "got smart, and she showed him the door, after getting his hat and coat."  Neither the letter written by Sarah nor Mrs. Gross's  reply, which was signed Edna, dwell on the incident.  Members of the Schafer family say they do not think Heitger had any connection with the crime, and that his indiscretion was simply the boyish act of one who did not realize Miss Schafer's aversion to unseemly conduct.
Source: Philadelphia Inquirer (Philadelphia, PA)  Vol: 150 Issue: 137  Pages: 4
Dated: May 16, 1904
Bedford, Indiana, Anticipates Exciting Week
Special to The Inquirer.
     BEDFORD, Ind., May 15, - The trial of James McDonald, on the charge of murdering Miss Sarah Schafer, teacher in the Bedford High School, will commence tomorrow.
     Miss Schafer was found murdered in a cab shed on the morning of January 22, in the most prominent residential section of the city.
     McDonald since his incarceration has had nothing to say.  He apparently has lost interest in the religious matters which he developed soon after his arrest when he joined the church and was baptized.
     The jury which will try the case will be drawn from a special panel of 100 names, which includes the most prominent citizens of the county.  The trial will probably occupy a week or more.
Source:  Elkhart Truth (Elkhart, IN)  Page: 4
Dated: July 5, 1904
     The Republican campaign was opened at Bedford Saturday night by J. Frank Hanly, candidate for governor and John C. Chany of Sullivan, candidate for congress from the 2d district, who spoke in the court house park to over 1,000 people.  They were also the principal speakers at the reunion of company D, 127th Indiana regiment, in the afternoon at Shawswick park near Bedford.
Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram (Fort Worth, TX)  Vol: XXI  Issue: 199 Page: 2
Dated: Jan. 19, 1905
Two Bedford Men Held In Connection With Killing of Sarah Schaefer, Jan. 1, 1904.
     BEDFORD, Ind., Jan. 19. - City Marshal James Myers arrested Frank Evans and Elmer Browning on a warrant charging Evans with the murder and Browning with the complicity in the murder of Sarah Schaefer, the Bedford high school Latin teacher, who was murdered on the night of Jan. 21, last.  Evans is a stone grinder and is employed at the Bedford Salem stone mill.
Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram (Fort Worth, TX)  Vol: XXI  Issue: 217 Page: 1
Dated: Feb. 6, 1905
Investigation of Sara Schaefer's Murder at Bedford, Ind., Will Be Resumed by Grand Jury Feb. 20
     BEDFORD, Ind., Feb. 6. - Justice McLaughlin today made a decision in the preliminary hearing of Frank Evans and Elmer Browning, charged with the murder of Miss Sarah Schaefer.  Evans was released and Browning held to the grand jury, which will meet Feb. 20.
Source:  Olympia Daily Recorder (Olympia, WA) - Vol: X Issue: 29 Page: Twp
Dated: Jun. 14, 1911
     The contractor for the Bellingham federal building, replying to criticism against the discrimination practiced against native stone in favor of the Bedford, Indiana, stone, declares the entire responsibility rests with the government architects of the treasury department at Washington, D. C. and that their specifications written in the contract called for buff Bedford, Indiana, limestone, although the contractor had submitted bids based on either the sandstone, such as the Tenino or Chuckanut stone, or limestone.  If Olympia is to secure the use of native stone with opportunity for choice of the Tenino stone, as is the general desire here, this matter must be put straight up to the government architects, good and strong, while there is yet time before the specifications are completed or the contract awarded.
     The specifications should be made to call for native Washington stone, and the Tenino quarries, with the advantage of a short haul, would likely secure the contract for furnishing the stone, and in any event building stone from this state would be sued, and state industry and labor benefited.  Let a halt be called in these discrimatory tactics in the contract for the Olympia federal building.
Source: Fort Wayne News Sentinel (Fort Wayne, IN) Page one
Dated Apr. 4, 1919
Aged Man Arrested at Bedford Had a Room Full of Bank Loot
(By United Press)
     BEDFORD, Ind., April 4. - Two weeks ago Harry E. Miller, alias W. F. Moore, 60 yeras of age, bought a little restaurant here and in connection with this business acted as hotel porter.  Today he was under arrested, charged with bank robbery, evidence having been obtained connecting Miller with five different robberies in Indiana, the loot of which totalled over $100,000 in liberty bonds and other valuable property.
     The gang of which Miller is charged with being a member, are acetylene workers and have operated in Bainbridge, Stinesville, Sharpsville and Mooresville, Indiana.  Some members of the gang are now in jail at Rockville, Ind., and Louisville, Ky.
     A search of Miller's bedroom uncovered large quantities of jewelry, watches, diamond rings and a complete kit of burglar's tools.  Thrift stamps by the hundreds, several leather pocketbooks used by banks, $300 worth of clothing and a sack containing $20 worth of pennies, bearing the Mooresville bank mark of identification, were also found.
     Miller was arrested on equest of H. C. Webster, superintendent of the protective department of the Indiana Bankers' association.  His arrest resulted from receipt of an anonymous letter from Cleveland, which is supposed to have been his home.