INDIANA GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express.

 

Welcome to
MONROE COUNTY, INDIANA

HISTORY & GENEALOGY

Source:
History of Lawrence and Monroe County, Indiana
their people, industries and institutions. 
Publ. Indianapolis, Ind. - B. F. Bowen & Co.,
1914

CHAPTER XIX.
INDIAN CREEK TOWNSHIP

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO TABLE OF CONTENTS >

     Indian Creek township is very similar to Van Buren.  The rich, loam-laden soil is exceedingly productive, and added value is given by the streams, the branches of Clear creek and Indian creek.  Geologically, the townships is noteworthy.  It is one of the few spots where the Chester sandstone comes to the surface of the ground.  This stone consists of light gray and bright red laminated stone, very ferruginous and irregularly bedded.  At Buena Vista and nearby points there are outcroppings of this stone, and in sections 6 and 7 there are iron deposits which belong to the strata of Chester stone.  The main stone of the township, however, lies underneath the sandstone, and belongs to the Upper St. Louis group of limestone.  The timber of Indian Creek township is abundant and has not been completely stripped from the land as in other townships.  Indian Creek township is in the extreme southwestern corner of the county.

EARLY SETTLEMENT.

     The rude cabins of the settlers dotted the country of Indian Creek township as early as 1815, but the homes were far between, and intercourse was difficult.  Among these families were the Lambs, Dicks, Crums, Burches, Morgans, Walkers, Wrights, Mays, Joneses, Clarks, Adamses, Carpenters, Tatumns, Oliphants, Carmichaels, Brosfields, Penningtons, Teagues, Phillips, Smiths, Graes, Gwinns, Treadways,  and the Turners.  The Lamb family is credited with being the first in the township, although the Easts  and Walkers, the Wrights and Burches came at an early date.  In 1816 the following men made entry on land in the township:  William Bigger, Richard Beem and John Kutch on section 1; Isaac Withers on section 3; John M. Sadler on section 6; Archibald Wood on the same; John Storm on section 12; William King and J. Storm on section 13; Henry Speed on section 19; Storm and Elzy Woodward on section 20; Archibald Wood on 30.  In the year 1817 Moses Olds entered land on section 1; James Wright, William Crum and William Leahy on section 2; Benjamin Freeland on section 5, also four hundred and fifty acres in section 7; Isaiah Wright and James Wright on section 11; James Mitchell, James Wright and Jacob Beals on section 12, and the latter also on section 24; William Wyman, on section25; James Wright, section 26; Thomas Wilson, Alexander Clark, section33; Zachariah Dicks, one hundred and sixty acres on section34; William Wright and James Smith, section 35; Peter Sanisford on section 18 in 1823.  Lemuel and Joel Sexson bought on sections 19 and 20 in 1827 and 1828.  Joseph Arthur purchased land on section 21, in 1818, and Richard Wright on section 23 in the same year.  Solomon Morgan came into possession of one hundred and sixty acres in section 24 in 1829 and Caleb Lowder bought eighty acres in section 27 in 1819.  Jonathan Howell, section 28 in 1818; Alexander Clark, section 34 in 1818; William Jones, section34 in 1818.

BUSINESS INTERESTS.

     The streams in Indian Creek township were not of sufficient size or volume to permit the operation of water-power mills.  However, there were several hand mills.  However, there were several hand mills and horse mills owned in the township, but they never became very prosperous.  The old Hamilton mill in Van Buren township and the Ketchum mill in Clear Creek township supplied the most of the flour and meal for this township.  There was a saw mill in the southern part of the township, also a whiskey shop which was said to have been the first in the county.
     In 1839, Randolph Ross, a native of Virginia, established an iron furnace in the northwestern part of the township and began to manufacture iron.  The factory progressed and shortly, under the firm name of Randolph Ross & Son's Virginia Iron Works, had in their employ about twenty men.  The crude ore was taken form the hillside, carried to the furnace, melted, and run off into bars, then shipped by wagon to Louisville or Vincennes.  After five years of success financial difficulties elsewhere compelled the corporation to suspend the operation of the factory.


 

CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO
MONROE COUNTY, INDIANA
INDEX PAGE

CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO
INDIANA INDEX PAGE

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights



 

CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO
MONROE COUNTY, INDIANA
INDEX PAGE

CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO
INDIANA INDEX PAGE

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights