INDIANA GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express.

 

Welcome to
MONROE COUNTY, INDIANA

HISTORY & GENEALOGY

Source:
History of Lawrence and Monroe County, Indiana
their people, industries and institutions. 
Publ. Indianapolis, Ind. - B. F. Bowen & Co.,
1914

CHAPTER XXVI
WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO TABLE OF CONTENTS >

     In the year 1829 Washington township was originated, and named after George Washington, the first President of the United States.  It is a full congressional township, comprising thirty-six sections, and is township to north, range 1 west, of the second principal meridian, and is one of the four townships of Monroe county which is crossed by the old Indian boundary.  This boundary was drawn at the treaty between the Indians and Gen. William Henry Harrison at Fort Wayne, on Sept. 30, 1809, at which time all of Washington township, and all of Monroe county south of the boundary, was received from the tribes.  The north portion of this township was included in what was termed the "New Purchase," and was ceded to the government by the Indians at the treaty of St. Mary's, Ohio, on Oct. 3, 1818. This land north of the boundary was not open to entry until all Indian title had ceased, and the ground had been surveyed by Thomas Brown in the summer of 1819.  William Harris and Arthur Henrie surveyed the land south of the boundary in 1812, and it was opened for entry in 1816.
     The timber of the township was of excellent quality.  Red, black, white and chestnut oaks, black and white walnut, maple poplar, cherry, chestnut, bech, elm, hickory, sycamore, sassafras, dog wood and gum trees constituted the forests of the township.  Knob stone and the Keokuk groups were the main rock beds of the locality, and excellent specimens of these stones were shipped in large numbers.  Traces may be found also of the great glacier which swept down from the north eons ago.  Fossils of all kinds, crinoids and geodes are in the deposits in various places in the township.

SETTLEMENT.

     Within the borders of the present Washington township the first purchase of land was made on September 2, 1817, by James Bennington.   He made the deal at the land office in Vincennes, while Monroe county was yet a portion of Orange county.  His purchase included the northwest quarter of the southwest quarter and the southwest quarter of the southwest quarter of section 30, township 10 north, range 1 west of the second principal meridian.  John Patterson bought the second tracts in the township on August 11, 1823, the northwest quarter of the southeast quarter, and the southwest quarter of the southeast quarter of Section 31.  The third entry was by Hugh Corr on section 14, on January 30, 1824.  Andrew Smith, on section 6, and Jehu Buckner, on section 12, were purchases in 1826.  Samuel Gaskins purchased eighty acres on section 28 in 1827, and Lee Brown equaled his purchase in the same section on the following year.
Other settlers during the days of formation were:
William and J. Millikan, section 30 in 1828; John Turner, section 33, in October, 1829, and in the same year Wylie Burns, section 13, and Richard Colier, section 3; Isaac Gillaspy, section 34 in 1830; Robert Walters and Jehu Bucker, section 28, and John Weaver, section 5, in 1831; Thomas J. Nance bought land on section 3 in 1832; John Bales, section12; James Mulky, section 29; Allen Sims, section 32; John Turner, section 33, and A. B. Anderson.  In 1833 came Goalson Steppe, on section 2; John Weaver and Andrew Smith, section 5; Job Johnson, section 14; John Neal, section 17; John Bales, section 19; William McNeely, section 29; Henry Putman, section 31.  In 1834 were Jehu Bucker, section 3; John Neal, section 17; Thomas Gillaspy, section 21; James Gaskins, section 28; David Paddock, section 28; Lee Brown, section 32; Isaac Gillaspy, section 33; Andrew S. Tate, also of section 33; Benjamin Marshall, on section 34; 1835 witnessed the following entries:  Job Johnson, section 14; William Gaskins, section 29; Daniel Ray, section 29; Emsley Wood, section 31; Allen Sims, section 31; and Daniel Ray, section 33.  Numerous entries were made in 1836, and they were:  Jeremiah and Levi Colier, William Tate and William Carlton on section 16; Richard Colier, section 17; Solomon Langwell, section 18; Benoni Denny and William Carlton, section 19; Alexander W. Leland, section 19; Stephen Gaskins, section 29; William Scott, William McNeely and William Carlton, also on section 29; Alexander W. Leland, section 30, in 1836; Emsley Wood and Jacob Millikan, section 31; A. W. Leland and A. M. Poe, section 32; Solomon Langwell and A. B. Anderson, section 33.  William Scott entered land in section 16 in 1837, Washington Smith on section 33, and David Browning on section 34 in the same year.  Caleb Colier bought on the school section in 1838, Benjamin Ridge, section 31, and Isaac Gillaspy and William Scott, section 34.  Thomas Gillaspy bought on section 16, in 1839.  These entries were all made prior to 1840 and were those of the earliest settlers.  The government land was rapidly taken up afterward in the forties and fifties.

SHARON WICK'S NOTE:   I made a diagram to show where they may have lived.  See below.

6.
1826 Andrew Smith
 
5.
1831 John Weaver
____ John Weaver
____ Andrew Smith
4 3
1829 Richard Colier
1832 Thomas J. Nance
1834 Jehu Buckner
2
1833 Goalson Steppe
1
12
1826 Jeho Buckner
_____ John Bales
11 10
 
9 8 7
18
1836 Solomon Langwell
17
____ John Neal
1834 John Neal
1836 Richard Colier
 
16
1836 Jeremiah Colier
1836 Levi Colier
1836 William Tate
1836 William Carlton
1837 William Scott
1839 Thomas Gillaspy
15 14
1824 Hugh Corr
____ Job Johnson
1835 Job Johnson
13
1829 Wylie Burns
24 23 22 21
1834 Thomas Gillaspy
20 19
____ John Bales
1836 Benoni Denny
1836 William Carlton
1836 Alexander W. Leland
30
1817 James Bennington
1828 William Millilkan
1828 J. Millikan
1836 Alexander W. Leland
29
____ James Mulky
____ William McNeely
1835 William Gaskins
1835 Daniel Ray
1836 Stephen Gaskins
1836 William Scott
1836 William McNeely
1836 Willilalm Carlton
28
1827 Samuel Gaskins
     80 acres
1828 Lee Brown
     80 acres
1831 Robert Walters
1831 Jehu Buckner
1834 James Gaskins
1834 David Paddock
27 26 25
36 35 34
1830 Isaac Gillaspy
1834 Benjamin Marshall
1837 David Browning
____ Isaac Gillaspy
____ William Scott
33
1829 John Turner
____ John Turner
____ A. B. Anderson
1834 Isaac Gillaspy
1834 Andrew S. Tate
1835 Daniel Ray
____ Solomon Langwell
1837 Washington Smith
32
____ Allen Sims
1834 Lee Brown
____ A. W. Leland
____ A. M. Poe
31
____ John Patterson
____ Henry Putman
1835 Emsley Wood
1835 Allen Sims
____ Emsley Wood
____ Jacob Millikan|
1838 Caleb Colier
____ Benjamin Ridge

TOWNS AND VILLAGES.

     Wayport and Hindostan are the two villages which have been founded in Washington township.  The former was laid out in April, 1851, on sections 28 and 33, by Isaac Gillaspy, Thomas Gillaspy, and G. W. Smith, proprietors, and James Washburn, surveyor.  Sixteen lots comprised the town.  One store, a post office, a blacksmith shop are about all the town had.
     Hindostan was laid out on the northeast quarter of the northeast quarter of section 14, in June, 1853, by Charles G. Corr, proprietor, and James Woodburn, surveyor.  Twelve lots were laid out on the line of the Martinsville and Bloomington state road, and just north of the Columbus and Gosport state road.  The industries were on a par with those of Wayport.

NOTES:

 



 

CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO
MONROE COUNTY, INDIANA
INDEX PAGE

CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO
INDIANA INDEX PAGE

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights