CITIES AND TOWNS
CANE RIDGE, Kentucky, USA was the site, in
1801, of a large camp meeting that drew thousands of people and had
a lasting influence as one of the landmark events of the Second
Great Awakening. Methodists, Baptists and Presbyterians all
participated, and many of the "spiritual exercises", such as
glossolalia, were exhibited that later became more associated with
the Pentecostal movement. Perhaps the most lasting legacy of Cane
Ridge was a formalization of what would become known as the
Restoration Movement, which was the origin of the Disciples of
Christ, the Church of Christ, the Evangelical Christian Church in
Canada, and several other, smaller groups.
Cane Ridge is located in Bourbon County, Kentucky near
Paris. The ridge was named by Daniel Boone when he went through the
area and noticed a form of bamboo growing there. A Disciples
congregation met on the site for many years afterward. For a time
Barton W. Stone was its minister; the place was so dear to him that
at his request, several years after his death, his remains were
reinterred there. The Disciples used a log building as their meeting
house; it was modernized many times. When the congregation ceased to
meet there regularly in the 1920s, the building fell into disuse.
Later, historically minded persons, predominantly from the
Disciples, restored the building and further preserved it by
building a stone shrine to surround and protect it.
The Cane Ridge building and grounds had many unusual
aspects. The 1791 Cane Ridge Meeting House is the largest
single-room log structure in North America (it seats 500). The
burial ground contains an unmarked section that is among the largest
in the country.
The restoration of the original slave gallery in the
meetinghouse was the oldest documented such restoration in the
United States. In the 1820s, the congregation had removed the slave
gallery, because they supported abolition. When preservationists
began restoration work in the 1930s, the original cherry-railed
gallery was returned from a local barn where it had served as a hay
loft for more than a century.
LITTLE ROCK , Kentucky
- NOTE: Millersburg Military Institute is the home of hte
National Cadet Training Center and Headquarters, U. S. Army Cadet
NORTH MILDDLETON, Kentucky
PARIS, Kentucky is a city and the county seat of Bourbon County,
Kentucky. It is part of the Lexington-Fayette, Kentucky
Metropolitan Statistical ARea. Settled in 1775, it lies 113
miles east of Louisville, on the Stoner Fork of the Licking River.
The town was originally known as Hopewell, Virginia when it was
chartered in 1789. The name was changed in 1790 to reflect
appreciation for French assistance during the Revolutionary War.
Its tourism motto is "Horses, history and hospitality".
Paris was first chartered as a city in 1862. In
1900, 4,603 people lived here; in 1910, 5,859; and in 1940, 6697.
In 2000 it was 9,183. It's zip code is 40361.
RUDDLES MILLS, Kentucky