HARFORD COUNTY, MARYLAND
(The YEAR of SMITH's EXPEDITION)
TO THE CLOSE OF THE WAR OF 1812
WALTER W. PRESTON, A. M.
BEL AIR, MARYLAND
Press of Sun Book Office
BACK TO BIOGRAPHICAL
BOND. The first of this family to take up land
within the limits of what is now known as Harford county,
was Peter Bond, of Anne Arundel, who came into the
colony in the year 1660. He acquired Pleasant Hills,
on both sides of the Patapsco, about the mouth of Gwynn's
Falls, now included in the city of Baltimore, and patented
Harris' Trust, and in 1691 purchased the adjacent tract
called Prosperity, lying on both sides of Bush river.
He was twice married, and died in 1705, leaving sons
Peter, Thomas, William and John, the two last
named being minor children of his second wife, who, after a
brief period of mourning (1707), married Phillip
Peter Bond, as heir succeeded to all the east of
his father except Prosperity and Harris' Trust, which were
divided between the three younger sons.
Thomas had already settled in Harford county,
and in 1700 married Ann Robertson, of Anne Arundel.
He patented, in 1703, Knaves Misfortune, adjacent to the
tracts above mentioned, where he built a substantial house
in which he lived until his death. This house was on
the site of the residence of Mr. John R. Spencer,
near Emmorton. The old Bond house is said to
have been built of brick imported from England, and part of
it was standing up to the time of the erection of the
present dwelling by Mr. Lee Magness, about twenty
years ago. Thomas Bond died in 1756. This
old house is said to have been used as a smallpox hospital
about the time of the Revolution. Thomas Bond
lies buried near the hosue and the location of his grave is
In 1714 he patented Bond's Forest, of three thousand
one hundred acres, lying between Bynum's run and the Little
Gunpowder Falls, and purchased Chapside and Poplar Ridge,
with other tracts, amounting to about three thousand acres.
In 1705 he received five thousand acres, lying in Baltimore
county, on the west side of the Susquehanna river, called
Bond's Manor. In 1739 he sold a portion of this land
to Capt. Thomas Cresap, who thus became involved n
the boundary dispute, from which William Penn emerged
crowned with success.
Thomas Bond, in 1749, conveyed to his sons
Thomas and John, as trustees, part of Bond's
Forest, to be laid out conveniently near the main road,
including "a house now built intended for a meeting house
for the people called Quakers to worship God in, and also a
school-house already built."
The records of Gunpowder Meeting show acceptance of
this deed in 1753. This was the beginning of the
Little Falls Meeting at Fallston.
He was a member of the celebrated grand jury which
protested against the removal of the county seat from the
Forks of Gunpowder to Joppa, denouncing it as "a palpable,
notorious grievance to this county."
Thomas died in 1755, having previously settled
each of his sons in comfortable houses on "plantations," and
divided his lands among his eight children. His eldest
son Thomas married Elizabeth Scott, and was
the ancestor of large families of Jarrets, Amos, Bosleys,
Howards and Munnikhuysens.
John married Alice Ann Webster, whose
descendants are Fells, Lees, Wilsons and Bradfords.
Joshua married Anne Partridge, and was
the ancestor of many Lees, Morris, Morrisons
Jacob married Fanny Partridge, and from
him are descended Prestons, Wilmers, Abbots, Gittings,
Hollands and McCormicks. Sarah
married William Fell, whose descendants are Fells,
Fews, Dabs, Kennards, Dorseys and Johnsons.
Ann married Edward Fell, and afterwards
Giles, and from her are descended Giles and Johnsons.
John, son of Thomas, who married Alice
Ann Webster, joined his father-in-law in organizing the
Bush River Company, which erected one of hte first iron
furnaces in the colonies.
Thomas, son of John, married Rebecca,
daughter of Tobias Stansbury. He was justice of
the peace and judge of the Orphans' Court, and a zealous
adherent of the Methodist church.
His eldest son John was an itinerant preacher,
and the friend and companion of Bishop Asbury.
His son was Dr. Thomas E. Bond, Sr., a very
celebrated preacher and editor of the Christian Advocate,
the latter being the father of Dr. Thomas E. Bond,
the younger, and Judge Hugh Lennox Bond, recently
The most prominent of the Bonds from the
standpoint of Harford history, was Jacob, who died in
November, 1780. He was a prominent member of the
Committee of Harford County in the Revolution, having been
elected by the people, and was captain of Company Eleven, of
Harford militia, in the Revolution, the other officers being
Thomas Johnson, first lieutenant; James McComas,
second lieutenant, and Martin Preston, ensign.
He was also one of Harford's representatives in the
Annapolis convention of June 22, 1774, which protested
against the tax on tea, his Harford Colleagues being
Richard Dallam, John Love, Thomas Bond, John Paca and
Benedict Edward Hall.
His children were:
Jacob Bond, Jr.
Sarah, wife of Bernard Preston,
Dennis, the father of Dr. Elijah Bond,
His will, dated Oct. 2, 1780, is recorded in the
Orphans' Court at Bel Air.
Bernard Preston, who married Sarah Bond,
above named, was born in 1756. He built the large
stone house between Bel Air and Hickory now owned by Mr.
John B. Wysong, his great-grandson. Bernard's
father was the first settler on that property, viz.,
James Preston, the son of James Preston,
who was the son of Thomas, named in the will of
Richard Preston of Patuxent as "Thomas Preston of
History of Harford Co., Maryland - by Walter W. Preston, A. M. Bel
Air, Maryland - 1901 - Page 202
BRADFORD, Sr., was of English ancestry, his family
having come originally from Yorkshire, where Bradfords
bearing the same family arms were found upon the Manor
of that name, in the reign of Henry III. He was
the son of William Bradford and Elizabeth Lightbody,
who came to Maryland early in the eighteenth century, and
settled upon land at the head of Bush river. His
father was one of the early schoolmasters of the colony.
He was commissioned by the Bishop of London to teach on the
plantations and became later on a soldier in the Colonial
Army with the rank of captain.
The subject of this sketch was born in 1739 at his
father's home place, on Bynum's Run, just across which lived
his near neighbor, Aquila Hall. He obtained a
good education under his father's tuition, and he also
received an early training in the doctrine of the Christian
religion, in which his family had for generations been more
or less conspicuous. His father had been registrar,
clerk and vestryman in St. John's Parish, and he succeeded
him as a member of the same vestry. His paternal
grandfather was John Bradford, a merchant of London,
whose brother, Samuel Bradford, was Bishop of
Rochester and Dean of Westminster, and his paternal
grandmother was Mary Skinner daughter of Matthew
Skinner, M. D., of London, and a granddaughter of
Robert Skinner, Bishop of Bristol. Several of his
ancestors had also been closely connected in an official way
with St. Ann's Parish, London. His paternal great
grandfather, William Bradford, was a parish officer
therein during the great plague of 1665, and of whom is a
recorded that "so conscientious was he in the performance of
his duties that he remained in London, giving his personal
attention to the sick and dying, through he removed his
family to Islington.
The latter's only children were, as stated above,
John and Samuel, and a daughter, Hannah, who
married Joseph Presbury, of London, and whose son,
James Presbury, came to Maryland and settled near his
cousin, William Bradford. He was the ancestor
of the Presbury family of Maryland.
William Bradford, Sr., became a pronounced
patriot, as did also his only brother, George Bradford.
Both he and his brother were elected members of the Harford
Committee of 1775, the latter of whom would, no doubt, have
been a signer, too, of Harford's "Declaration of
Independence" had he been present at the time.
The "senior" which William Bradford suffixed to
his name when he signed the declaration, and which was
something unusual for him to do, was to designate him from
his nephew of the same name, who was also an ardent patriot
and a lieutenant of Capt. Alexander Lawson Smith's
Company of Fort Washington fame. It was an earnest of
the intense responsibility which he assumed, when he so
solemnly pledged himself to the sacred cause of his country.
In September, 1775, he organized Company No. 13 of Harford
Minute men, and was its captain. He was married in
1764 to Sarah McComas, to whom were born eleven
children, one of whom, Samuel Bradford, married
Jane Bond, and lived for many years in Bel Air.
Samuel was the father of Augustus W. Bradford,
Governor of Maryland during the Civil War.
William Bradford lived adjoining his brother
upon a tract containing about three hundred acres, called
"Littleton," where he died in 1794.
History of Harford Co., Maryland - by Walter W. Preston, A. M. Bel
Air, Maryland - 1901 - Page 214