HISTORY OF FALMOUTH
The approximate date of first settlement was 1632 by
Arthur Mackworth at what is presently called Mackworth Island,
according to a chronology published by Falmouth Memorial Library. In
1658, Falmouth was incorporated as the seventh town in Maine, with
its area covering the modern day municipalities of Portland, South
Portland, Cape Elizabeth, and Westbrook.
In 1700 New Casco Fort and an accompanying trading post were built;
in 1703 the fort was attacked by a 500-man force of French troops
and Native Americans. The fort was demolished in 1716 by order of
the Governor of Massachusetts, whose territory included Maine.
In 1765, Cape Elizabeth was set off from Falmouth, including the
area of present-day South Portland. In 1786, Portland broke away as
a separate municipality; and in 1814 Westbrook broke away, though
the boundaries between Falmouth and Westbrook were readjusted
throughout the 19th century. In 1943, Mackworth Island was donated
to the state as a wildlife refuge; today it is the site of the state
school for the deaf and hard of hearing.
In 1961, Falmouth adopted a council-manager charter.
(Found at Wikipedia.com)