|
LED by avarice, the trader ventured to the
forests, and sought wealth in a traffic in
fur and peltries. Treading in his
footsteps came the disciples of Loyola, and
sometimes preceding them. They told
the story of the Cross to the dusky warriors
of the Western lakes, and, as early as 1611,
fifteen Jesuits from the Old World, arriving
at Montreal, went among the Five Nations.
Others followed them until, in 1833, the
number of the order who had come to this
country was twelve hundred. With the
creed our province has nothing to do, but
with the devotion of the Jesuit who can
study but to admire? They knew no
danger, they traversed the wilderness
without a path, they paddled their canoes
upon unknown river and lake, and with
unflagging zeal erected their chapels in the
Indian villages, and brought the entire
population to bow beneath the emblems of
salvation. Untainted by pernicious
white intercourse, the impression was deep,
the effect wholesome. As French
influence declined Jesuitical power waned,
until the only indication of their advent is
the silver cross of ornament and the rude
symbol at the grave. In the year 1669
came Robert Cavelier de la Salle to
Western New York, and with him were De
Casson and De Galinee,
two missionaries of the order of St.
Sulpice. They came, with twenty-two
men, in seven canoes, under escort of a
party of Senecas, and landed, on August 10,
at the mouth of Irondequoit Bay.
The Iroquois had four villages, all east of
the Genesee. Thirteen years
previously, Father Chaumonot
had made here a brief sojourn. In July
of 1667, three men - Fremin,
Pierron, and Bruyas - left Quebec
for the Iroquois country. In August
they reached a Mohawk village called
"Gandaonaye," where, twenty-one years
before, Jogues died a martyr to the
cause. Here two remained. The
third, Father Bruyas, advanced
to Oneida, where Garnier soon joined
him. Farther on, the Onondagas
asked missionaries among them. The
Senecas then sent a deputation of chiefs to
Montreal in November, 1668, asking a mission
at their villages. Father
Fremin was promptly sent forward to
their country, where a pestilence was raging
so deadly that he called to his assistance
Garnier, from Onondaga.
Fremin resided at Gandongarae, four
miles southeast from Victor, where was
founded the mission of St. Michael, and
where he labored until 1671.
Garnier located in "Ganagarro," situated
on what is known as Boughton Hill, in
Victor, and there remained till 1683, and
established the mission of St. James.
La Salle came to the Seneca country
to obtain a guide through to the sources of
the Ohio. The Jesuits Fremin
and Garnier were absent at the
Onondaga council, as is thought by design,
and La Salle traversed the country
and held councils in the Seneca
villages without the notice of the
missionaries. The deep-seated and
natural interest attached to the past throws
a charm about the lives of the Jesuits.
Religious principles and fixed attachments
were succeeded by much of benefit, and when
the Protestants sent Joseph Baxter,
of Massachusetts, to a mission among the
Abenakis, he returned, convinced that
the Indians desired no other teachers.
Then came Samuel Kirkland, early in
1765, and, adopted by the Senecas,
advanced their interests in peace and
treaty, and by faithful teaching did them
much good.
Secure in their homes, and selecting lands according to
t heir taste, single families have been
found living miles from any other.
Intelligent educated, and enterprising, the
first emigrants to Ontario were comprised in
two classes, the irreligious and the
religious. These latter were again a
composition of two principles: - those who
were habituated to the observance of
Christian rules, sent their children to
religious institutions for their salutary
effect, and themselves, without piety, loved
to attend preaching; and professors of
religion, members of churches East, anxious
for the formation of society, and the
enjoyment of religion in their new home.
This field was the domain of the missionary.
To him was intrusted the encouragement of
the Christian, the confirmation of the
moral, and the reclamation of the erring,
and nobly did he strive to do his work.
From its origin, the Methodist church took
the lead in the great enterprise of
supplying the people with gospel privileges.
Its creed of salvation by faith and works
has caused her to push out from the great
centres into new and sparcely settled
portions of the country, following and
keeping pace with the resolute emigrant, and
furnishing the "bread of life" to all who
would consent to receive it at their hands.
And when the notice came of preaching in
cabin, barn, or open air, the settlers
gathered on foot, or with ox-sled from miles
away. In some favored spots several
Christian families, settled adjacent to each
other, began the observance of the Sabbath
at once by meetings where there were prayer,
singing, and reading sermons; sometimes
prayer was omitted, from none present being
willing to take upon himself this office,
and the Bible was read, and psalm or hymn
sung.
In 1789, the Genesee country was rightly considered
upon the very outskirts of civilization.
To this distant field the New York and
Philadelphia Conferences sent missionaries.
The first of these to travel through the
settlements upon the Indian trail, or
without a path, were David Dunham,
Benjamin Bidlack, Smith Weeks, and
Roger Benton. Only the names of
these men are now known to us, but what an
experience was theirs! Two by two they
went out upon their extended circuit.
The circuit in 1808 extended three hundred
miles, and included Rochester, Lima,
Groveland, Sparta, Avon, Mendon, Pittsford,
Bloomfield, Canandaigua, Sulphur Springs,
Phelps, Palmyra, Lyons, Perinton, and
Penfield, and such it remained for years.
Every day services were held, and the
itinerant pushed on through the woods over
bridges and streams to the next appointment,
and from four to six weeks elapsed ere the
round was completed.
The records show that Joseph Jewell was
presiding elder during 1805, and
Reverends Amos Jenks and James Kelsey,
the ministers on the circuit, which was of
extended and un defined area. A
Methodist class was formed in Victor during
1807. It was composed of seven
persons, and was attended by Samuel
Talbot and Joseph Scull. In
1808, this was known as the Susquehanna
District. James Herron was the
presiding elder, and William B. Lacey
and James Mitchell were the
preachers. Years passed before a
church was built, and while circuits became
less, and ministers increased in numbers,
other denominations erected meeting-houses,
and entered upon an existence which we hope
may know of no temporal limit. At a
Quarterly Conference held during 1809, it
was "resolved that this Quarterly Conference
give to Brother Levi Jacobs, of
Canandaigua village, credentials and
authority to go into the Southern States and
collect money, if collectable, for the
purpose of building a meeting-house in the
aforesaid village." Whether he went
and prospered, or found funds uncollectable,
is unknown, but the resolution is calculated
to excite reflection, when read at this late
day.
The first organization of a church is reported to have
been effected by Rev. John Smith, of
Dighton, Massachusetts, in 1791. He
came to Ontario with Captain Pitts
and others in 1789, and is reputed to have
preached the first sermon in Canandaigua
delivered by other than Indian missionaries
in the Genesee country. The next
sermon was preached by Rev. Guernsey.
In 1790, religious meetings were held in the
barn of Judge Phelps. John Call
read sermons, and Nathaniel Sanborn
led the singing; prayers were omitted.
The church organization above noted was
temporary and composed of persons widely
scattered. The Lord's Supper was there
and then celebrated for the first time in
the western part of the State, and no record
of subsequent assembly exists.
Rev. Zadoc Hunn, a settler in the town of
Canandaigua during 1795, organized a church
of the Congregationists in 1796 at East
Bloomfield. It numbered
Page 34 -
sixteen members, including the minister.
During December, 1795, a church having ten
members was formed at South Bristol. A
Presbyterian society was formed in Geneva as
early as 1798. A meeting was held in
July, at which John Fulton and
Oliver Whitmore presided. The
Rev. Jedediah Chapman became the first
local minister, and so continued until his
death in 1813. He was an active,
zealous man, and stood connected with the
formation of various societies, both in
Ontario and Seneca counties. His
successor was Rev. Henry Axtell.
No house was erected until 1811. The
second minister of the Congregational
denomination was Rev. John Rolph, who
was installed pastor of the South Bristol
church by an ecclesiastical council for that
purpose convened, and consisting of Rev.
Hunn, Rev. Eliphalet Steele, of
Paris, Oneida county, and Rev. Asahel S.
Norton, later known as Dr. Norton,
of Clinton, Oneida county. These last
named were the nearest to be obtained, and
were probably several days on the journey.
This council was the first one ever convened
in the limits of Ontario County.
The next minister to locate in Ontario was Rev.
Reuben Parmele, who was in stalled
pastor of the church in what is now known as
Victor, during February, 1799. The
Rev. Timothy Field came to Canandaigua
in 1799, in response to an application by
the villagers, and recommended by Dr.
Dwight, then president of Yale. He
was favorably received, and responding to a
call, was, in February, 1800, ordained to
ministerial work, and installed pastor of
the church by an ecclesiastical council
convened for that purpose. This
ordination was the first one in the
Congregational churches of Ontario, and
prior to any such action by the Presbyterian
church.
In the early part of 1799, a Congregational church
numbering twenty members was organized in
Bristol by Rev. Hunn, and Rev.
Seth Williston, a missionary. At
its first meeting it connected itself with
the Ontario Association. Rev.
Joseph Grover, a missionary from New
Jersey, preached for the society several
times acceptably. A call was received,
and moving on his family, he was installed
pastor in June, 1800, and remained fourteen
years. This society is entitled to the
honor of erecting the first meeting-house
built exclusively for the worship of God in
the county of Ontario. It was a log
structure, composed of unhewn timbers raised
sufficiently high to permit of a gallery,
and was supplied with desk and seats of rude
description. The date of its erection
was about 1800, and its site was somewhat
south of the junction of the Bloomfield and
Canandaigua roads.
The Congregational society of East Bloomfield erected
the frame of a house of worship during 1800.
It was sixty feet long by forty- six in
breadth, and had a steeple. Although,
several years before it was finished, it was
used by the society for holding services,
this was the first frame church erected in
the Genesee country. The
Congregational and Presbyterian societies
were in utmost concord during the early
settlement of Ontario, and members of each
united to give strength to the societies
formed, and their history at this period is
one and the same. We have noted early
Methodist ministers, and also of the
Congregational. The Episcopal and
Baptist were also in existence in strength
at a primitive stage of settlement.
The oldest parishes in Western New York were
Trinity, of Geneva, and St. Matthew's, of
Canandaigua. The former was organized
in 1806, with nineteen adults, and in
default of a rector was presided over by
John Nicholas. Rev.
Davenport Phelps was the first
officiating clergyman, and Rev.
Orrin Clark was his successor.
A building was erected in 1809. An
Episcopal church was organized under the
name of St. Matthew's, in Canandaigua
village, on Feb. 4, 1799, by Rev.
Philander Chase, then a
missionary, and afterwards Bishop of Ohio.
In accordance with previous notice to
persons belonging to that denomination and
wishing to establish such a church, a
meeting was held, and a vestry elected at
the date given. Ezra Platt
was called to the chair and presided,
Joseph Colt was chosen secretary,
and Rev. Chase read prayers.
Two church wardens were chosen, and eight
vestrymen. The organization is
scarcely known to have existed, and the
names of its officers are therefore given in
this preliminary notice of the society.
The wardens were Ezra Platt
and Joseph Colt, and the
vestry men were John Clark,
Augustus Porter, John
Hickox, Nathaniel Sanborn,
Benjamin Wells, James
Fields, Moses Atwater,
and Aaron Flint. A day
for election of officers was fixed, the
title was voted, and Messrs. Colt
and Wells, with the chairman,
certified and acknowledged their action
before the Judges of the Court of Common
Pleas, and filed a copy with the clerk.
The first Baptist church in Bloomfield was formed in
1799. A council, composed of delegates
from the several Baptist churches in the
vicinity, met on June 13. Elder
Irish was moderator; Solomon
Goodale, clerk. The church was
formed with seventeen members. No
regular meetings were held during that year.
The early ministers were William
Farnam, S. Goodall, Elnathan
Wilcox, and Elder Wilson;
preaching being at the homes of members.
Fifteen dollars was voted to support the
gospel, in June, 1800, and the apportionment
was made among the members.
The first Baptist church of Bristol was formed Feb. 7,
1805, and embodied the members of the
Bloomfield church. Their log
meeting-house was sold to a settler, and
another one built near the present site of
the Universalist church.
The earliest record of the first Baptist church of
Phelps dates Aug. 31, 1808, and embraces the
result of a council held at that place at
this date. The council was formed of
delegates from churches in Palmyra,
Farmington, now Manchester, Bristol,
Romulus, Ovid, Augusta, and Gorham.
The ministers present were Jeremiah Irons,
John Caton, Jehiel
Wisner, and John Goff.
Elder Irish was chosen
moderator. This was not the original
formation, which had apparently ceased to
exist. The struggles of the pioneer
societies, dissolving, reforming, branching
off, endeavoring to erect houses, the
difficulty of maintaining preaching, and the
strict character of the discipline, present
a feature of early settlement of unusual
interest to the people of the county.
Detailed history will be found in the various town
histories, and a summary farther along in
the county work. Second only to
religion, and intimately associated with it,
is education. The pioneers were fully
aware of its necessity, and when a foreign
population moved in and blended with the
Eastern people, no influence was more
powerful to assimilate and harmonize diverse
languages and customs. No sooner had a
few settlers found themselves sufficiently
numerous, and some young New Englander or an
old-time pedagogue made his appearance, than
a settler's cabin was utilized and a school
started. The backwoodsmen set their
day, and, meeting at a central point,
erected the log cabin; and then, as now,
these schools were of the highest advantage,
or lamentable failures. In the log
house age of country schools, when they
rested with the people, the buildings
primarily erected for education were
generally occupied for religious exercises,
and held as common property. In the
history of the villages and towns of Ontario
will be found the existence of schools
contemporary almost with settlement.
Bristol was formed in 1789, and Thomas Hunn was
a teacher in that town in the year
following. Thirty families constituted
the population of Canandaigua in 1792, yet
Major Wallis is recorded as
the instructor of their children at that
date. The pioneer teacher in East
Bloomfield was Laura Adams, in
1794. The first schoolmaster in the
town of Gorham was Timothy Moore,
who, in 1802, opened a term in Rushville.
Prior to this, Hopewell, formed from the
northern portion in Gorham, had enjoyed
school advantages under the direction of
Calvin Bacon, a teacher as early
as 1792. Elam Crane, of
whom frequent mention is made from his
extensive experience in the schools of the
county, was the first teacher in Manchester
in 1800. A marked contrast in
capacity, apparent as late as 1806, was
exhibited between two teachers. One
day unwonted quiet fell upon the
school-rooms, the light faded, and the air
grew chill; the sun was slowly darkened, and
an awe was felt in many a troubled breast.
Elam Crane called his scholars
out to where a fair view could be obtained,
and then, while they looked on and watched
the dark body of the moon stealing over the
great luminary, a lesson of astronomy was
taught never to be forgotten. In
another school Draxy McLouth
was teaching; she saw the gloom deepen with
emotions of terror, dismissed her pupils,
and sought shelter with a patron near by.
The early settlers of Naples established
their first school in 1792, with Susannah
Parish as teacher, while the pioneer
of Phelps is lost to recollection. A
house was known to have existed prior to
1800, and it is not probable that a man of
enterprise like Robinson would delay
the establishment of an agency so necessary
to future well-being. At Geneva, in
Seneca, was established a model union
school, and one of the first in the State.
To Francis Dwight is
attributed the plan of its formation, and
its success changed the opposition caused by
the weight of taxation to the heartiest
support; delegations from various localities
came to visit and to observe its workings.
Though the oldest point of settlement, no
school was opened in the settlement of
Seneca until 1792, when Samuel
Wheaton engaged in teaching, while the
first school in South Bristol was taught by
Joanna Forbes. The old
school house, rude in every feature, from
the round logs which formed its sides, and
the broad fire-place which occupied one end,
to the puncheon floor and slab seat, is a
matter of history. The text-books of
that period are known no more. The rod
is little used in modern days, and the pens
are no more to be mended, nor copies to be
set. While it were futile to challenge
progress, nevertheless it is true that the
few books were well conned, and some
attention to good manners inculcated.
Schools of all grades and classes were
established in the villages, and, as
examples, we note a boarding-school at
Canandaigua in June, 1804, by Mrs.
Whalley, at her house, a few doors north
of the court-house. Her number was
limited to twenty young misses, who, in
addition to the branches of study, were
taught sewing at the reasonable tuition of
two dollars per quarter. A military
school was opened at the court-house by
Othniel Taylor, and a
dancing-school at a hotel by E. M.
Cummings. A musical association was
formed in 1803, under conduct of Elijah
Morely, and it is safe to assert that
there is little taught at present but was
known and practiced in those early days, and
there is "no new thing they did not attempt"
The marriages which characterized the early history of
Ontario and all
PICTURE
Plate VII
"HYGENIC
INSTITUTE," - 10 Park Place, Geneva, N. H.,
A. B. Smith, M.D., Proprietor.
The Institution is open at all seasons of
the year for patients and boarders.
For circulars address as above
PLATE VIII
Presbyterian
Church of Seneca & Parsonage.
Page 35 -
this western region, were in accordance with
the circumstances. Not unfrequently,
young men came out and sought their favorite
spot for a farm, purchased, cleared, and
built, and then went East to be married; and
the long journey by ox-sled was the bridal
tour, and the howling of wolves their
charivari. Bravely the youthful couple
encountered the hardships of backwoods life,
and together they passed along life's
pathway down to rest. Numerous
anecdotes are extant of the simplicity of
ceremonies attending the marriages in the
settlements. An instance or two must
suffice.
One afternoon in a day of 1794, Israel Chapin
was busily engaged on the public square at
Canandaigua in chopping, when a man called
desiring his services to marry him to a
young lady accompanying him. The
ceremony was soon over, and the new-made
bridegroom produced a silver dollar as the
magistrate's fee. Mr. Chapin
took the coin and presented the same to the
bride as her first gift; the squire returned
to his chopping, and the couple whence they
came.
Again, it is related of Joseph Annin, known
later as Judge Annin, that the
"course of true love did not run smooth" in
his efforts to provide a helpmeet. The
lady of his choice was a Miss Read,
the daughter of Seth Read, a settler
in the town of Phelps. Tradition
affirms that Mr. Read was much
opposed to the match, and forbade Annin
from entering his house. One evening
Mr. Annin, in company with Thomas
Sisson, Esq., one of the first justices
of the peace in Ontario, was passing the
premises of the farmer, and found Miss
Read employed in milking her father's
cows near the highway. The opportunity
was propitious. She set aside her
milk-pail, stood up, and then and there the
silken knot was tied by Esquire Sisson.
The justice and the bridegroom then wended
their way home, while Mrs. Annin
finished milking the cow that was commenced
by Miss Read. The parents of
the young wife, compelled by necessity,
became reconciled to the union, and, so far
as is known, this wedding, unwitnessed and
unceremonious, was productive of full as
much felicity as those attended with the
display of these times. No form of law
can soften asperity of temper nor imbue with
conjugal affection, and the log cabin of the
settler probably knew more of happiness in
the marital relation than now exists in many
a palatial abode. The first marriage,
not only in Ontario, but upon the Phelps and
Gorham purchase, was that of Benjamin
Goss to a daughter of George Codding.
The first marriage in Farmington was that of
Otis Comstock and Huldah Freeman,
in 1792. Philetus Swift and
Sally Dean were married in Phelps during
1793. The first marriage in Naples was
in 1795, of Benjamin Clark and
Thankful Watkins. The first
marriage in Seneca was of Dr. Joel
Prescott and Phila Reed, and in
Victor, that of Zebulon Norton and
Miss Boughton.
An importance
always attaches itself to the initial event
of any character, and the first white child
born in a county, a town, or a village takes
precedence from that circumstance, and the
fact becomes a matter of history. The
birth of Oliver Phelps Rice in 1790,
at Canandaigua, was the first within the
limits of Ontario. Welcome
Herington was born during the same year,
in Farmington. The first born of
Bristol was Cornelius McCrum; of
Naples, Phineas P. Lee; of Phelps,
Henry H. Robinson of South Bristol,
Eli Allen in 1791; of Hopewell,
Benjamin Wells, Jr., on Feb. 4, 1791;
of Victor, Frederick Boughton, June,
1791, and of Bloomfield, Lucinda Gardner,
September, 1791. It would be
interesting in this connection to learn the
consequents in the lives of these earliest
native whites of Ontario; yet one fact is
established - that the open air, the plain,
nutritious food, the healthful exercise, and
the freedom from care have resulted in long
and happy lives.
The first deaths in the county, from the fact simply
that they were such, require a brief notice.
It was on secure region, this country of the
Senecas; there were those who died
while on their journey hither; there were
deaths by falling trees, by burning fevers,
by drowning, and by inclement weather; and
hardly had the log cabin betokened
occupation ere the lonely grave gave silent
witness of man's destiny.
Without medical care, destitute of medicines, many
struggled with disease, and in the intervals
of fevers attempted to prosecute their
labors. We note the death of Walker,
in 1790, at Canandaigua, and that of Mrs.
Fish soon after. The death of
Elijah Smith was given as 1793, in
Farmington. William Johnson, of
Seneca, was found dead upon the banks of
"Scanœdice"
Lake, in Pittstown, in 1803; and on Jan. 15,
1805, Charles Robins, of Canandaigua,
and John Kennedy, of Sparta, were
found frozen to death. Robert Wiley,
of Middleton (Naples), was drowned in
Canandaigua Lake in 1808, and Cotton
Dickinson was instantaneously killed by
the falling of a stick of timber from a loft
in 1804, at the raising of the Presbyterian
church at Oak's Corners.
Respect for the departed was not feigned, and while
deep feeling of loss weighed upon the
relative, tender sympathy was exercised by
friends. There was a class who looked
indifferently upon death, and the carousal
could proceed in one apartment while a body
lay awaiting sepulture in the next.
familiarity upon the battle-field with the
grim horrors of war had blunted sensibility.
these settlers were tender and kind to the
mourner, but regarded the remains with honor
only as far as they recalled worth on the
part of him who had left them. Funeral
rites were solemnized with little display.
No hearse with stoic driver preceded a long
train of carriages, no rosewood,
silver-mounted coffin inclosed the inanimate
clay, and but a plain native slab marked the
burial spot.
But with his early simplicity there was method and
provision for the future. One of the
first acts of Oliver Phelps, Sr., at
the "chosen spot" was the presentation to
the inhabitants of a lot for a cemetery,
containing one acre of ground as surveyed by
Daniel BRAINARD; and such lots were
donated or purchased at suitable spots over
the county. Not upon unknown grounds,
but in consecrated lots, were laid the
bodies of the pioneers, born thither upon
the bier, and consigned to rest. In
these old cemeteries are to be found the
honored names of many we have noted in these
pages - the pioneer settlers of Ontario.
Upon those old graves the hand of affection
still lays the fresh flowers over the dust
of ancestors, and as in life they were the
precursors of settlement, so are their
remains the first in the ever-growing
villages of the dead.
|