WARWICK is
flourishing commercial and manufacturing
township, situated about five miles
southwesterly from the city of Providence, and
contains more villages than any other town in
the state. It is bounded on the north by
Cranston, on the east by Narrangansett bay, on
the south by East Greenwich, and on the west by
Coventry. The prevailing soil is a
gravelly loam, generally strong and fertile,
affording facilities for the successful
cultivation of many of the principal grains and
vegetables. The numerous thriving
manufacturing villages scattered throughout its
borders demand a large portion of the products
of the farm. Following is a list of the
principal places of interest in the town:
Villages. - Apponaug, Pawtuxet (Warwick side),
Norwood, Old Warwick, Oakland Beach, Buttonwood
Beach or Nausocket, Coweset, Greenwood, Hill's
Grove, Bayside, Conimicut, Pontiac, Natick,
Arctic, River Point, Clyde, Lippitt, Phenix,
Birch Hill, Centreville, Crompton, Warwick Neck,
Spring Green, Elm Lawn, Rocky Hill Riverside,
Potowomut.
Hills. - Spencer\s, Bald, Carpenter's near Drum
Rock, Prospect, Andrew's
Rivers. - Pawtuxet, Potowomut, Weewweonk creek,
Old Mill creek.
Brooks. - Tuskatucket, Kickemuit, Aponakee,
Mill, Sweet's Meadow, Masquachug.
Ponds. - Posnegansett, Warwick, Gorton's
(formerly Coweset), Three.
Page 921 -
Coves. - Pawtuxet, Occucpessatuxet or Spring
Green, Old Mill, Warwick, Horse Neck, Brush
Neck, Apponaug, Passconuquis or Patiunco, Mud,
Turtle, Coweset Bay.
Necks. - Potowomut, Warwick, Horse, Brush,
Arnold's.
Rocks. - Sally, Potowomut, Crack, Flat,
Longmeadow, Round, Drum, Mark, Wakefield Ledge,
Atwood Ledge, Hunt's Ledge, Gould's Ledge,
Barron Ledge.
Points. - Conimicut, Namquid, called Gaspee
since June 10th, 1772, Chopaquanset, Rocky Wood,
Cedar Tree, Sandy, Marsh, Long.
Islands. - Chepiwanoxet, Greene's, Marsh, Rock.
Swamps. - Warwick Great, Cedar.
Fort. - At Old Warwick Cove (siege of 1643),
Greene's stone castle at Old Warwick, residence
of Thomas Greene and descendants, 1660 to
1795.
Trees. - At Buttonwood Beach, a tree that gave
name to the place; Black Ash, back of town
house; Buttonwood on the Briggs place, Coweset
road.
Indians. - The Cowesets were tributary to the
Narragansetts, and there were several etty
branches of this tribe, whose seats were known
and pointed out years ago by the late Chief
Justice Brayton.
Historic. - Spring Green was once the home of
John Greene, Jr., John Brown and
John Brown Francis; House at Potowomut, in
which General Nathanael Greene was
born; Inscription on a stone found at Pastuxet,
on Cole's farm, near Cole's
Station; "Here lieth the bodie of Sara Tefft
interred March 16, 1642." The Governor
Greene house was the center of social life
and the seat of political wisdom during the
revolutionary period.
The Providence & Stonington railroad passes through the
central portion of the town, affording excellent
facilities for communication with the
southwestern towns, Connecticut and the West.
The Providence, Hartford & Fishkill railroad
passes through the northwestern corner of the
town and enteres Coventry on the central line
between the two towns. The Pawtuxet valley
and Pontiac branches form a junction with this
main road, the former at or near River Point and
the latter near the north line, where the
Providence, Hartford & Fishkill railroad enters
the town. The Warwick railroad was
chartered in 1873, and subsequently built and
run from Old Warwick along the eastern border of
the town and formed a junction with the
Page 922 -
The
following is a list of the inhabitants of the
town previous to June 5th, 1848* "Rufus
Barton, Hend. Townsend, Chris. Unthanke, Ezek.
Holliman, Jo. Lipet, Richard Townsend, Peter
Greene, Tho. Thorncraft, James Greene, Thomas
Greene, Steuk. Westcot, Mr. Jo. Smith, Mr. Nic.
Hart, Mr. Walter Tod, Jo. Cooke, John Greene,
Jr., Robert Westcott, John Sweete, John
Townsend, Peter Burzecott, John Downinge, Edward
Inman,
---------------
* For list of the twelve purchasers of Warwick see
general history.
Page 923 -
James, Sweete, John Durbin, Thomas Erington,
George Palmer, Amos Westcote, John Garreard,
John Hayden, Mr. Robert Coles, John Potter.
Lots of land,
generally of six acres, were set off to these
persons, but no formal deeds of these lands were
made until 1650. Mr. Holliman, Mr.
Warner and Henry Townsend were
appointed a committee "to draw up a forme for
recording of lands and makinge each man a deed
and appoint ye Clarke shall be paid for his
pains and so men are to repaire to the Clarke
and he to do it."
It will be seen from the above that the inhabitants of
the town were comparatively few in number, while
the natives were numerous; and because of the
Indians who disregarded their rights owing to
the disfavor shown them by Massachusetts, the
settlers of Shawomet and Pawtuxet were
constantly apprehensive of an outbreak. In
view of this state of affairs John Smith
assistant, in behalf of the town, Sept. 7th,
1648, sent a letter to the New England
comissioners complaining that the Indians had
killed their cattle and committed other acts of
violence, and requested their advice on the
subject. The commissioners wrote to the
sachems "advising them to abstain from such
conduct." The Indians took no notice of
the advice, as they knew well they need not, and
the year following the town authorities wrote
again, but with no better result.
Feb. 22d, 1652, it was "ordered to adjourne the
meetinge and forthwith to repair to the house of
John Warner, where Thomas Avington
dwells, and there being mett orderly, it was
ordered by the Towne that henceforth their place
of meeting be at the house of John Warner
aforesaid Thomas Avington consenting
thereto and the said Thomas Avington is
to have twelve shillings for the use of the
house; and this to bee until see cause to alter
it."
April 5th, 1653, the two following orders were placed
upon record: "Ordered that two men shall
watch every day (a guard against the Indians)
until they shall see cause to alter it."
"Ordered that the watch shall consist of eight
men, any order formerly notwithstanding."
So great were their fears of an outbreak from
the Indians, that on Mar. 22d, 1652, Samuel
Gorton, Randall Holden, and ten others made
a proposition to sell out and remove from the
region.
May 2d, 1653, it was ordered that "Randall Holden,
Richard
Page 924 -
Townsend, Stuckely Wascote, James Sweete,
Christopher Hauxhurst and John Cole
are appointed to agree with the Indians about
Nausaucot and their way about fencinge in their
fields." An appropriation of
£12, 10s. was
subsequently made on report of the committee to
pay the Indians for fencing their lands.
Page
925 -
Page
926 -
The lots of the middle division were assigned as
follows: The
Page
927 -
1st to Rufus Barton 2d, Ezekiel
Holliman; 3d, Francis Weston; 4th,
John Smith; 5th, Randall Holden; 6th,
John Greene, senior; 7th, John
Smith - Sweet's; 8th, John Smith;
9th, Henry Townsend; 10th, John Wickes
11th, Stukely Westcott; 12th, John
Greene, Jr.; 13th, Richard Carder;
14th, John Warner; 15th, Richard
Waterman; 16th, Robert Potter; 17th,
Samuel Gorton.
Page
928 -
Page
929 -
Page
930 -
Page
931 -
Page
932 -
Page
933 -
Page
934 -
Page
935 -
TOWN CLERKS. A list of the town clerks of
Warwick from 1647 to the present time:
1647-49 - John Warner;
1649-56 - John Greene, Jr.;
1656-58 - Ezekiel Holliman;
1658-59 - Mathias Harvey;
1659-60 - John Green;
1660-61 - Mathias Harvey;
1661-64 - James Greene;
1664-77 - Edmund Calverly;
1677-87 - John Potter;
1687-1710 - Peter Greene;
1710-41 - John Wickes;
1741-75 - Jeremiah Lippitt;
1775 to February, 1776 - Adam
Comstock
1776-to November, 1776 - Jeremiah
Lippitt; |
1776-1802 - James
Gerauld;
1802-4 - Jonathan Gorton;
1804 to December, 1834; Charles
Brayton;
December 1834-44 - George A. Brayton;
1844-45 - William D. Brayton;
1845-53 - William Harrison;
1853-58 - Samuel W. Clarke;
1858-66 - Caleb R. Hill;
1866-78 - Samuel W. Clarke;
1878-80 - Stephen W. Thornton;
1880 to November, 1886 - Rinaldo
Hoyle;
November 1886 to December 1886 -
pro-tem Dwight R. Adams;
December, 1886-87 - John B. Allen;
1887 - James T. Lockwood. |
Page
935 -
TOWN OFFICERS. -
SCHOOLS. -
Page
936 -
Page
937 -
PAWTUXET VILLAGE -
Page
938 -
ROCKY POINT.
Page
939 -
THE BUTTONWOODS. -
Page
940 -
Page
941 -
James Green, Sr.,
too up his residence at Potowomut upon lands
that have continued in possession of his
descendants. He married Deliverance
Potter, daughter of Robert Potter for
his first wife, and Elizabeth anthony, of
Rhode Island, for his second, Aug. 3d, 1665.
He died April 27th, 1698, at the age of 71.
His will devising his estate, and duly witnessed
by Anne Greene, Pasco Whitford and
William Nickols, bears the date March
22d, 1698.
His son James, residing at Nausocket, died March
12th, 1712, at the age of 52. His will is
dated the day before his death; after committing
his "soul unto ye hands of ye only True God, and
Blessed Redeemer, Jesus Christ, in and
through whom I hope to obtain mercy and
forgiveness of my manifold sins and
Transgressions, and to be received by him into
his everlasting kingdom," he provides that "his
loving wife Mary Greene," shall have half
of his house and farm during her life, which
upon her decease was to go to his son James;
the other half was given to his son Fones
Greene, with legacies to his remaining seven
children. Fones Greene died July
29th, 1758, at the age of 67. He gave his
"mansion house and the westernmost part of my
homestead farm together with all the buildings"
to his son James. Captain James
Greene, the oldest of the six children of
Fones, was a member of the Baptist church in
Warwick for upward of sixty years.
The Warwick town farm
consists of one hundred and eighty acres at the
Buttonwoods, where the dependent people of the
town are furnished a home. In June, 1883,
Gardner B. Slocum took charge of this
farm as superintendent for the town, and has
since then filled his position. He was
born in North Kingstown in 1832, where his
father Joseph and his grandfather
Joseph resided. He married Susan A.
Sheffield of Westerly. George W.
and Silas E. Slocum, both heads of
families, are their sons.
OAKLAND BEACH. - This place has become noted as
a summer resort since the year 1873. The
grounds comprise about one hundred and sixteen
acres, with numerous shade-trees, and were well
laid out, and furnished with a variety of
attractions for excursionists. The hote,
built in 1873, is a commodious three-storey
building of sufficient capacity to accommodate
one hundred boarders. The place is at the
terminus of the Warwick railroad.
Page
942 -
With its various objects of attraction, the
place has already succeeded in rivalling Rocky
Point in the numbers that flock from every
direction during the season to enjoy brief
seasons of relaxation. The grounds have
been tastefully laid out. An artificial
pond, spanned by two rustic bridges has been
excavated, and winds gracefully about the
grounds, supplied by water from the sea at high
tide, over which a fleet of boats are constantly
passing. Here, too, are the flying horses
and the shooting galleries and the dizzy swings,
etc., and that which seems to be the special
attraction to many, the clam dinners, when
scores of bushels of the bivalves, roasted upon
the hot stones, find their way to the hungry
mouths of the excursionists.
SHAWOMET BAPTIST CHURCH - The
earliest settlers of this town, viz.: John
Greene, Richard Waterman, Francis Weston,
Ezekiel Holliman, William Arnold, and
Stukely Westcott, in 1639, in Providence,
united with six others in church relations, and
agreed to support in faith and practice the
principles of Christ's doctrine. These six
men were among the first settlers of the town,
and from that time to this there has always been
religious worship in the town.
Page
943 -
APPONAUG AND COWESET SHORE - No permanent
settlement was made in this part of Warwick
until 1696, when John
Micarter, of Providence, erected his fulling
mill on
Kickemuit brook. There is reference in the
early records of 1663, to "Aponahock" and later
to "Aponake." The word in the Indian
tongue signifies, "an oyster." Williams
writes it "Opponenauhack." Apponaug Cove
in former times was much deeper than now.
An arm of the cove that extends up in the rear
of where formerly stood the old Baptist meeting
house is known by the name of Paw Paw Cove.
Sloops of fifteen tons burden found no
difficulty in those earlier times in entering
the cove and landing at the wharf of Jacob
Greene & Co.
Page
944 -
Business was established here in June, 1796,
when John Stafford erected a mill for the
grinding of corn and other grains at or near the
bridge; the grant being given by an act of the
general assembly which provided that the "mill
dam be made and erected with suitable waste
gates for venting the superfluous water, and in
such a manner as not to back the water or
otherwise injure the mills of Mr. Caleb
Greene," and also provided "that the said
John Stafford shall make and leave open at
all proper times a suitable passage not less
than sixteen feet wide in the said dame for the
passage of rafts and boats up."
It was followed by a cotton mill, run by a company, of
which Captain Caleb Greene, father of
Mr. Albert D. Greene, was the agent.
The mill was of three stories, shingled on all
sides, and remained until about the time the
Print works went into operation. There was
also a saw and grist mill in operation near by,
for some years. Just in the rear of Mr.
Benjamin Vaughn's house, was a small
building used for the carding of wool, which was
brought in by the neighboring farmers, and when
carded was carried home and spun for use.
It was run a part of the time by a Mr.
Manchester, and also by the Wilburs.
Mr. Wilbur, father of the late Colonel
Peleg Wilbur of Washington village, had a
store in the village in the year 1800 and
afterward, in which he sold dry and West India
goods, and in one part was kept the usual supply
of New England rum. It is said there were
not less than seven of these variety stores at
one time, and seveal taverns, all of which kept
liquor for sale at retail. The old
Wilbur house still stands on the east
side of the street, leading toward Greenwich.
Jacob Greene, brother of General
Nathanael Greene, had a store out in the
water, off against Mrs. Remington's
lot, for convenience, perhaps in unlading
merchandise from the sloops that entered the
harbor. The water surrounded it. One
of the oldest houses, and perhaps the first
framed house in the village, stands next north
of Mr. Atwood's hotel.
Early in the present century, sloops and schooners were
built here, and one ship is remembered as also
having been built. Trade was carried on
the neighboring ports to a considerable extent.
Jacob Greene & Co. here shipped their
anchors from their forge in Coventry, and
received their coal and black sand.
On two of the four corners in the heart of the village
were hotels or taverns, on the southeast a
blacksmith shop occupied by Gideon
Congdon who died very suddenly, and on the
south
Page
945 -
was formerly used for a grocery store, and for
the past twelve years for a millinery and dry
goods store.
Mr. O. P. Fuller, B. A., in his excellent
history of Warwick, speaking of some of he old
residences and important personages in this part
of the town, says:
"In reaching this point we have passed the palatial
residence of Amasa Sprague, Esq., at the
old Ladd watering place, the most costly
dwelling house, probably, in the town; with its
extensive and beautiful lawns and shrubbery.
To the southward and not far from the site of
the old Indian burial ground, is the pleasant
residences of the late Deacon Moses Wightman
formerly owned and occupied by the late
Reverend Doctor Crane and long known as the
Oliver Gardiner house. On the hill
the massive stone, dwelling-house of Alfred
A. Read, Esq., vying, in architectural
beauty, with the Sprague house, to the
northward, and overlooking Narragansett Bay and
the surrounding country. On the corner of
Division street and the road leading to Apponaug
is an old house occupied during the first decade
of the present century and for many years by
John Mawney, who was postmaster for many
years in the adjoining village.
Page
946 -
Page
947 -
Page
948 -
Page
949 -
Page
950 -
Page
951 -
Page
952 -
Page
953 -
Q. Adams; treasurer, William James
Richardson; permanent secretary, Benjamin
Hill.
ST. LUKE'S CHURCH, APPONAUG. -
WARWICK CENTRAL FREE WILL BAPTIST CHURCH,
APPONAUG. -
Page
954 -
OLD EPISCOPAL CHURCH. -
Page
955 -
OLD BAPTIST CHURCH AT APPONAUG. - At a church
meeting held at Old Warwick, of which Elder
Manasseh Martin was pastor, Dec. 6th, 1744,
Benjamin Peirce and wife, Ezrikham
Peirce and wife, Edward Case and
wife, John Budlong, and such others as
wished to form a church at the Fulling Mill, of
the same faith and order, were granted leave.
Several members
Page
956 -
COWESET
CROMPTON. -
Page
957 -
William Rice, of whom this land was
purchased, bought 127 acres in this vicinity of
Nicholas and Isaac, sons of Henry
Matteson, June 4th, 1779. It is said
that William Rice also owned one of the
shares in this company, the one not accounted
for, but the company objected to his name going
upon the records of the town in this affair,
being apprehensive of embarrassments.
Page
958 -
Jonathan Tiffany had charge of the mills
about ten years. After sundry conveyances
Mr. Pitman took possession in January, 1819.
Page
959 -
Page
960 -
WARWICK AND COVENTRY BAPTIST CHURCHES. -
Page
961 -
CROMPTON SIX PRINCIPLE BAPTIST CHURCH. -
Page
962 -
CATHOLIC CHURCH. - The "Church of Our Lady of
Mount Carmel," a small frame church, was erected
in 1844. It was under the charge of
Reverend James Gibson. Father J. P.
Gibson is in charge at the present time.
The present church building in Crompton was
erected in 1886. Father William H.
Curley is assistant rector. The Church
of St. James was organized at Birch Hill in
1870.
ST. PHILIP'S CHURCH, CROMPTON. -
CENTREVILLE. The exact time when the
first settlement was made at this point is
unknown, but it was probably previous to the
year 1700, as the Wecochaconet grant of 2,100
acres was made in 1692. Fuller says:
Page
963 -
Page
964 -
Page
965 -
Page
966 -
BANKS. -
Page
967 -
STORES. -
Page
968 -
SCHOOLS AND TAVERNS. -
Page
969 -
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH. -
Page
970 -
Woodward. It is not large, but it
has, nevertheless, a vigorous tendency upward.
ARCTIC. -
Page 971 -
Page
972 -
trade. Joseph Le Moine & Son have
carried on undertaking here since 1875.
Albert Tyler has been engaged in the
mercantile business at North Centreville since
1884. H. D. Shepard built his hotel
in 1874.
Chase's Monthly Advertiser was
started in January, 1886. It had a
gratuitous circulation, but the advertisements
furnished by the business men of the village
supported it handsomely. It is a four
column folio work neatly executed on Mr.
Chase's job press, run by steam.
Mr. Isaac F. Chase, the proprietor, began
job printing in River Point in April, 1867, and
in Arctic in 1874. He established his
circulating library in 1867.
North Centreville is sometimes termed Arctic. The
most prominent among those doing business here
is Robert Forsyth. He was born of
Scotch parents in the state of Connecticut in
1830. He has resided and been in business
here since 1882, when he bought the site and
erected the grist mill at North Centreville.
He subsequently put in the machinery there now
in use, and added to the feed and grain business
his present trade
FRENCH CATHOLIC CHURCH. -
Page
973 -
The Societe St. Jean Baptiste De Centreville
was organized March 15th, 1885, and was
incorporated January 12th, 1886. Doctor
Legris, one of the founders, is its
president, and under his administration the
society has flourished from the first. The
membership consists exclusively of the resident
French people.
|